Fruit Salad in Eggless Vanilla Custard

, , 4 comments


Most custards commonly made contain egg and it's egg that thickens the milk and gives it a smooth consistency. Egg-less custard is a great alternative for those vegetarians who do not consume egg. Instead of eggs, we use cornstarch.

In India, though we do not get commercially available egg alternatives, we are fortunate to get good eggless curtard/pudding mix in varied flavors. I generally stock a packet of flavored custard powder for those uncalled moments of sweet temptations. Making them ahead during late noons and enjoying a bowl of fruit salad with custard and ice cream post our dinner is one of our favorite desserts. It also brings reminiscences of our childhood where fruit salad with custard topped ice creams was one of the common desserts served when we had guest around.


Fruit Salad in Eggless Vanilla Custard

INGREDIENTS

4 tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups milk
A pinch of yellow food coloring
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Chopped fruits and nuts
1 tsp butter

DIRECTIONS

Use store bought custard/pudding mix in varied flavors. Prepare the custard as per the directions on the pack. If you don't have one, then here's a handy list of how you can make one at home.

Mix together the cornstarch and sugar. Add 2 cups milk gradually. Cook over medium heat until it thickens. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and the food coloring if preferred. Stir and let cool. Add in loads of chopped fruits of your choice. I used apples, black grapes, strawberries, bananas, mangoes here. You may use varied fruits of your choice.

Heat some butter and fry some cashew nuts, almonds and raisins. Add it to the fruits salad and mix well. Chill and serve. Garnish with reserved fried nuts and chopped fruits.


Though what I have used here is a store bought custard mix in vanilla flavor, the above is a great alternative to store bought custard packets and I use it during those times when I run out of custard mix. It accompanies well with ice-cream, fruit toppings, fruit salads and as a base for pudding.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore fruit salad in custard and it is one of my favorite dessert[as I speak,I have a bowl chilling in the fridge for our after dinner-dessert--how cool!].Adding ghee fried cashewnuts and raisins is a great idea,looks so tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Divya! I too have a fetish for fruit salad in custard... top it with vanilla ice cream and you'll see me on my knees for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tis looks rich n adorable. I wld love to have this on the menu during my next visit to ur home :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it looks delish, the fruit salad may have come in varieties blending with the eggless custard.

    ReplyDelete