Fettuccine in Italian tomato sauce

, , 1 comment


My fascination for Italian food doesn't seem to end. There's something about it that makes me go gaga over it. Well, this was the time for me to post my Fettuccine delight!

Fettuccine is a commonly savored Italian ribbon pasta. Fettuccine was my first attempt of making pasta at home. Even before I made Lasagna, I made Fettuccine through the video on Videojug. It may sound a tedious process, but it actually isn't. One just needs to get a hang of how to make the dough and then we are all set. The step by step video will make it much simpler. The dough definitely needs to be more dry and stiffer than wheat dough, just sufficient to roll it into sheets. The best thing about fresh home made pasta is that it takes less than a minute to be cooked in boiling water. It is healthier as it's free from wax, oils and preservatives.

To make homemade fresh Fettuccine pasta, I suggest you follow this video on Videojug. Nothing can be better than this! Boil water, add salt and cook the pasta for a minute till it's just done. Run through cold water. Drizzle oil and keep it aside.


Basic Italian tomato sauce

1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup tomato puree
3 tbsp tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Parsley/ cilantro for garnish

Heat oil in a thick bottom pan. Fry onion until it's golden, but not brown. Add garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Add the tomato puree, tomato sauce, water, sugar, salt and pepper. Reduce the flame and boil until the sauce has thickened a bit. Pour over the pasta and mix well. Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro leaves. Serve hot.


This is a basic Italian tomato sauce. You can add any other spices like oregano, celery, parsley, bay leaf, cinnamon, etc. You may serve this pasta as a main course with salads and desserts.

The video on Videojug uses an egg pasta. I followed the instructions as is, however I omitted the eggs. Instead use any flavorless vegetable oil and it still simply works fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. Your recepies are a boon to amateurs like me. Feels good to know that cooking is no rocket science :)

    ReplyDelete