Best Cocoa Brownies

, , 7 comments


I have been craving to make chocolate brownies at home from a very long long time. I've been holding this craving for baking, only for the fact of not getting a bar of cooking chocolate or unsweetened chocolate. Here in India, any milk chocolate is sugary and the concept of cooking chocolate has not evolved yet.

From a long time, I have been looking for a good brownie recipe made from cocoa powder. I wanted mine to be gooey, moist and deep chocolate-y. I kept researching for several recipes, but was not thoroughly satisfied. Most of the recipes call for unsweetened dark chocolates. I have tried making them at home with cocoa powder and have not been satisfied with the results, Not that they turned out bad, but they turned out more like flat cakes and not the actual brownies I was looking for.

After researching a lot again and being dissatisfied with most of the recipes, I came across this site during the search. This is exactly what I was looking for! A cocoa brownie that does not ask for dark chocolates! Finally! I felt the recipe was perfect and the photos were definitely promising me the brownies I wanted.

With high expectations, I set out to prepare this brownie on my weekend. I am extremely happy with the results and this recipe will surely make to my bookmarks :) We did enjoy a good batch of brownies with evening tea and a few made it to the brownie fudge with vanilla ice-cream.


Best Cocoa Brownies

INGREDIENTS

150 gm unsalted butter
1 ¼ cups sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup walnuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS

Pre-heat the oven to 350 deg F.

Set a large pan with water on heat. Place small wide mouthed pan on the larger pan in such a way that the water boiling in the larger pan does not touch the bottom of the smaller pan placed on it. The smaller pan should be wide mouthed and should completely cover the pan below so that the steam does not escape. This is called a double boiler.

Melt the butter. Add sugar and salt and stir until well combined. Next add the cocoa powder. Reduce on cocoa if you think it's overpowering. Stir until mixture is smooth. Mixture should be hot, but not boiling. Remove and keep it aside. Don't worry if you find the mixture granulated. It will turn fine on baking.


Add the eggs one at a time. Beat well with every addition. Add the vanilla. Mix again. The batter will look thick and shiny now. Then add the flour and blend everything well. Add in the nuts, if required. I used chocolate chips in mine. Line the baking tin with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Spread evenly on a baking tin.

Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. Test with a toothpick. The top would look cake-y, center will still be a little moist. That's how we want it to be. Do not over-bake the brownie. Remove and cool completely. Cut into squares or rectangles. Serve warm as is or as brownie fudge with hot chocolate sauce and ice-cream.

My husband says that these were the best brownies that he's ever had. At least, I am glad I do not have to depend on dark chocolate if we ever have a brownie craving. I can make these any day, any time, with the simplest of ingredients sourced.

7 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Am sure it'll be equally amazing to eat! I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. super blog.....this sounds soo lovely! chocolaty heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fortunate that I have tasted your brownies from Deepak. He shared to our team and that was amazing. I've made a note of the recipe and gonna make the same this weekend for surprising my hubby:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These brownies were heavenly.I tried them and they were simply out of the world. Great Stuff Mallika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brownies look extremely tempting.
    I had a question for you. Is the whole process of making the batter done on a double boiler?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it has been done on a double boiler till we add eggs in it. Double boiler is used to prevent burning of butter and cocoa powder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks Yummy! Want to try this, Is this the Unsweetened Cocoa?

    ReplyDelete