Chocolate Truffle Cake

, , 5 comments


I have a BIG sweet tooth, but my husband does not. He is not fussy. He relishes sweets to an extent, but is very conscious of the calorie intake. He has a tumult of not taking sweets at night. He sticks to his diet very religiously. I, on the other hand I go totally gaga over sweets. And it's not just the love for cooking and baking, but also finishing them till bowl clean! Aaah, now that's truly me!

I get a constant NO NO from him for eating sweets in any form at any hour of the day. I have a tongue with some great sensitivity to food! I am constantly monitored for my intake of calories. On a good note, it really helps me feel the pinch and guilt which I wouldn't have felt otherwise. But what makes it difficult for me is that I crave to bake... which means not only end up making, but also finishing!

This weekend I tested my skills at making some good Chocolate Truffle Cake. It came out great and we (should I emphasize on I instead of we !!!) finished the entire batch by the end of the day!

Chocolate Truffle Cake

Prepare the cake:

1 ½ cups All purpose flour/Maida
3/4 cup Cocoa powder
1 cup Castor sugar/powdered sugar
1/2 tsp Baking power
A pinch of salt
1 cup Milk
75 gm Unsalted butter or 5 tbsp Oil
2 eggs
1 tsp Vanilla essence

Sieve and mix all the dry ingredients together (first five in the list). Beat eggs with sugar till they turn fluffy and pale yellow. To this, add butter, milk and vanilla essence. Beat the mixture to blend the ingredients thoroughly. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet one. Tranfer to a greased cake tin and bake at 350-375 degrees for about 40 minutes till done. Cool and slit the cake across horizontally into 2 pieces.


Moisten the cake:

2 tbsp rum
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp of water

Heat 2 tbsp rum with 2 tbsp sugar and 2 tbsp of water till it comes to a boil. To moist the cake, drizzle this rum mixture on both the cake slices.

Frosting the cake:

100 gm butter
2 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp powdered sugar
2 tbsp cream
A pinch of salt
Few drops of vanilla extract

Melt butter over a saucepan and keep it aside. To this add in the cocoa, powdered sugar, a pinch of salt and few drops of vanilla extract. Mix and beat well till it forms soft peaks. Add in the cream and keep aside. This will thicken further as it cools down.

Assembling the Truffle:

To assemble, please the base and spread some cocoa frost from the middle to the edges of the cake. Place the second layer over it. Then heat the cocoa mixture till it just melts and drizzle it over the chocolate cake to cover it completely. Decorate with a few almonds. Allow it to set in the refrigerator for an hour. Serve as is or warm to serve with vanilla ice cream.


5 comments:

  1. Mallika...your desserts are SO inviting...the next time I am in Blr, I will find myself in Whitefield! God, this cake looks sinful.. and I lurrrv it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sure Deepti, you are most welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey mallika... this cake loooks soo yummy!! is there any other option for rum??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shabana, you may skip the rum completely and use only sugar syrup instead. Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shabana, I forgot to mention, but try orange juice. It pairs well with chocolate and will turn out great. Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete