Cocoa-Oatmeal Cookies

, , No Comments


I love cookies. But I still desist indulging often in store bought biscuits and cookies. It's okay at times. But on a daily basis, I would prefer something more homemade which is lighter, simpler and healthier. Well, following my mum's way. Despite knowing that biscuits, cookies, pastries, etc do carry butter and sugar content, I still try and have a control on them. If the recipe called for a cup of sugar, I would prefer using a little lesser than what it asks for. The same goes with butter. It probably would taste great and richer, but I think we are just fine with less.

I recently made a small batch of almond cookies. They were such an instant hit that they got finished even before I could click few snaps of them. They were crisp, crunchy and delicately almond flavored. I decided to make another batch of them, but with a variation. Since I had always have a bag of oatmeal at home, I thought it would be a good idea to use them in cookies. And again it's time for my favorite chocolate flavored ones.

As the cookies were baking in the oven, it's chocloatey aroma spread across the house transforming the entire house to smell like a cookie shop. It was just heavenly! Aromatic and truly decadent. These are perfect for tea time and go well with a hot cuppa coffee.


Cocoa-Oatmeal Cookies

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup all purpose flour
50 gms cold butter
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup granulated damerara sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
A pinch of baking soda
A pinch of salt
1/4 cup chopped cashew nuts (or mixed, as desired)
1/4 cup milk or as desired


DIRECTIONS:

Don't melt the butter. Instead mash the cold butter well into all purpose flour till it resembles bread crumbs.

Mix all the dry ingredients (i.e. from rolled oats to nuts in the list) in a separate bowl. Then add all the dry ingredients to the above. Mix well. Add milk and gently mix so that it forms a soft dough or a thick batter (batter will be thick enough to scoop out). Scoop out dollops of batter to a parchment paper or aluminum foil. Make sure to leave enough space between each dollop as it will swell during baking process.

Place the tray in the oven and bake on 350 degree for about 15 minutes depending on your oven. The resultant cookie will be chewy and slightly crunchy on the edges. If you bake further the cookie will turn crunchier. Enjoy with tea or coffee or just plain milk!

0 comments:

Post a Comment