Khaman Dhokla

, , 4 comments


I am inspired a lot by my amma's cooking. I think most of us are. Somehow or the other our cooking is influenced by the way our mums' cook. The tastes, the ingredients, particularly the spices, all in a way do have an effect. I think we are all brought up in a significant manner and lifestyle which varies from one household to the other. Our food and taste buds are accustomed to particular spices.

Back home, amma is a little low on spices. She makes sure that the food is tasty, healthy, appealing to taste buds, not overly hot or spicy and happily eaten by all... from kids to elders. It is always a mélange of spices, sweet, salt and tang. After marriage, I was greeted into a family who loved spice and oil. I think my mother in law consumes a litre of oil in one week, which would otherwise last a month at amma's place! Though I love spice, I take pleasure in indulging in it once a while, but despise eating everyday. I like it light and easy on the tummy.

My cooking is a mix of both cultures. These days, my husband understands the health benefits of medium spice and appreciates it well. I make sure it's just rightly spiced and low in oil, so that it can cater to health benefits.

Over this weekend, I made this Khaman Dhokla. I have made this one couple of times earlier and was loved by my hubby and his parents as well. It is mildly sweet which caters to my nibbles, has enough spices that caters to their likings well. Khaman Dhokla dressed well with tadka and served with accompaniments like Khatti Meethi Chutney and Pudina Chutney can leave your mouth tangling and craving for some more.


Khaman Dhokla

INGREDIENTS

For Dhokla:

1 cup Besan / Chickpea flour
2 tbsp Rava/ Semolina
1 sachet Eno fruit salt
1 tsp Sugar
Salt to taste
A pinch of Hing/Asafeotida
A pinch of turmeric
1 tbsp oil
1/2 cup water / buttermilk

DIRECTIONS

Make a dry mix of all the ingredients in the list from 1 to 7. Finally add in the oil and the buttermilk and mix well to avoid the lumps. Next transfer to a clean greased plate (1 1/2 inch in height) and place it in cooker. Ensure enough space is let in the vessel for the dhokla to rise in height during the cooking process. Cook without weights on medium-low for 15-20 mins till done. Insert a fork to test. It should come out clean, else cook for some more time. Once done, allow to cool a little so that the dhokla can be removed easily.


Next give a good tadka to the prepared Dhokla. For the Tadka here's what we need:

1 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
A sprig of curry leaves
2 chopped chillies in rounds
1 tbsp water
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp lime juice

For the tadka, heat the oil in a tempering pan. As the oil heats, add mustard. Next add curry leaves and green chillies. As they splutted add sugar and water. Finally add lime juice and turn off the gas immediately. Allow the dhokla to cool a little. Then add this tadka on top of the dhokla. Dhoklas are soft and fluffy and will absorb the water. This gives a nice moistness to it. Cut into sqaures and serve. Serve this with Khatti Meethi Chutney and Pudina Chutney. This also serves a great snack at a high tea!

4 comments:

  1. I m surely gonna try to make this for breakfast tomorrow. Thanks M&D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, do let me know how they turn out to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MD thanks for dropping my blog. You have wonderful collection of recipes with awesome clicks. Will visit u often. Following u.

    Pavithra
    www.dishesfrommykitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really its compilation of great recipes. I appreciate your hard work, great blogging and cooking knowledge. You spend a lot of time in putting things together just to make others happy in terms of delicious food.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete