Chocolate-Chip Cookies

, , 4 comments


I bake cakes and cookies with no eggs or no butter with a lot of hesitation. You see, I have not had convincing results without these in the past. So my hesitation is valid. I do not have eggs at hand most often. I buy them only with an intention of making a dessert which I have planned in advance on my mind. Else, I never extend myself to cooking anything with eggs apart from desserts.

I am a perfectionist. I love my bakes to be perfect... rich in flavors and heavenly in mouth. When I follow a recipe, I ensure I stick to what measurements and ingredients the recipe asks for. I am always in dilemma when cooking with alternatives as they may not result to what they should be.

My search for alternatives to eggs haven't yielded good results either. Most common alternatives being agave nectar, unsweetened apple sauce, soy yogurt, silken tofu, flax seed powder, ener-g egg replacer, etc.. etc... etc... Most of these, or must I say, none of these are even available easily in Bangalore. Though off late, a few supermarkets have these imported stuffs on their racks, but the prices of imported goods are way too sky-rocketing that purchasing them at exorbitant prices makes no sense. I would rather enjoy them eating outside with no efforts at all!

Flax seeds were hardly available earlier. But they seem to be getting a little popular in bigger super markets. On one occasion when I had seen them in stock in the nearby Foodworld, I got my hands on them. I had been using them in muesli and granola, but never used them as an egg replacer. So when I came across reviews that flax seed can make good alternatives to eggs, I decided to use them in my chocolate-chip cookie recipe.


Chocolate-Chip Cookies

Dry Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (200 g)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup brown sugar (50 gm)
1/4 cup white sugar (50 gm)
A pinch of salt

Wet Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted cold butter (100 g)
1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds
1 tbsp warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract

Add-ons:

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (100 g)

First grind the flax seeds with warm water till they become a mushy egg-like paste. Set aside for later use.

Mix in all the dry ingredients from the list above in a mixing bowl. Add in cold butter. Using your fingers, work the flour–sugar mixture into butter until dough resembles breadcrumbs.

Next, add the ground flax meal paste along with vanilla extract to this. Fold in gently. Add the chocolate chips. Knead gently to form a smooth dough. Chill in fridge if necessary. I was impatient to wait though. So I headed to bake them. Shape the cookies to rounds and flatten them a little. Place them on the baking tray and bake them a 180 deg C for about 10-15 minutes or till they brown. Remove and allow to cool before serving.


I am glad I tried this. The flax seed can hardly be noticed or even tasted. One would never imagine that the cookies contained them. They were great. Loved and enjoyed by all. Every bite into the freshly baked warm cookie was decadent and heavenly. It just made our day complete.

It's hard to believe that these are truly eggless! They were crunchy on the outside and chewy in the center. Way to go for a perfect cookie to be mastered!

4 comments:

  1. The pics and ur interesting encounters in the kitchen keep me intrigued...Great going M&D..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written with good photo shoots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really yumm Mallika.. will try soon.. how many cookies approximately can be made from this quantity? Have u used heat resistant chocolate chips or regular ones?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suma, you will get about 2 dozen cookies from these. These were regular chocolate chips used in the recipe. I haven't had problems with the chocolate chips melting, so I always use them.

    ReplyDelete