Paanaka

, , 26 comments


Wishing all a Happy Ram Navami. Today being Ram Navami, I bring forward this sweet & spicy, yet refreshing drink called Paanaka, which is a must along with Kosumbari or an Usli served on this festival day. Having celebrated Ugadi on the 15th of this month, but not having published a post with a traditional recipe for that festivity did leave me with a guilty feel. To compensate, I promised myself that I would come back with a traditional recipe for Ram Navami.

Ugadi signifies the beginning of a new calender, the Hindu New Year. Ram Navami is celebrated to signify the birthday of Lord Ram and falls on the 9th day from Ugadi. While in North India, the festival lasts for nine days, beginning from day of Hindu New Year and ending on this day, called as the Navratras. Fasting is observed all along these 9 days. Contrary to North, South India observes feasting ;) Especially in Karnataka, Ram Navami is observed very ritualistically in all pomp and glory in most temples with various programs ranging all nine days.

The delicious spread of prasad generally offered by temples to it's devotees consists of a ginger-pepper drink called Paanaka/Panankam and a green gram salad called Kosumbari, which is most common in Bangalore. Back in my native, most temples offer Channa Usli or Green gram Usli along with Paanaka, which is a must for this occasion. For today, I am sharing our favorite Paanaka here.


Paanaka

INGREDIENTS

1 tbsp jaggery
1 cup water
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder

DIRECTIONS

Dissolve jaggery well in water. Then, add the cardamom powder, pepper powder and ginger powder and blend them all into it. Simple and easy. This drink is not just refreshing and good, but also healthy with medicinal properties.


Ginger and pepper have been known to possess immense medicinal values from long. Jaggery is pure and unrefined sugar made from molasses and is also known to possess high nutritive values. This drink has medicinal properties that is excellent for throat infections.

I love to see those settled ginger and pepper powder at the bottom of my glass. Shake it well before you sip! It's common to use watermelon or musk melon pulp for thickness and added flavor.

A simple, healthy, sweet and spicy drink in celebration of Ram Navami. My wishes to all again!


I have been showered with yet another award on this auspicious day! Thanks Suma for showing such affection and love towards Veg Bowl! It's wonderful to receive an award from you! Suma from Cakes and More!!! has some wonderful desserts and more whipped, all to satisfy your craving taste buds. Thanks for the honor. I am having a real tough time to forward it to the deserved! You've hardly left anyone out!


Cicily Anthony
Gulmohar
Jessica
Grace
Cooking Rookie
Sarah Naveen
Aparna Mallya
Divya Kudua
Nostalgia
Racheal
FoodLovers
SS

Congrats guys! Well deserved award for some of the fellow bloggers whom I follow often.

26 comments:

  1. Mallika, I have a little surprise for you on my blog. Do hop on to see it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Refreshing panaka here Mallika! Congrats on the award! You truly deserve this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Some, I am unable to reach your blog! Could you please comment again with your blog address?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Suma, having remembered me every time :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious and healthy..loved it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some serious good eats in your spot. Lovely! Love this Paanaka but what I would love to have from your spot is this -- the indian bread with mutter paneer, fruit cake and the melon smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mallika, here you go - http://somesalttotaste.blogspot.com/

    I hope this helps. I wonder why this is happening. Just to give you a lead, I am Deepti Pawar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha.. I have no clue what is happening. The first time it showed my blog name but you could not access it.. and now it shows my name right when I included my name in the comment. Anyway, hop on to my blog, sooooon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a refreshing and healthy drink..
    Congrats on your award and thanks a bunch for sharing it with us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i gues first time here,..lovely click...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey thats really refreshing and healthy drink .
    Congrats on ur well deserved award and thanks a lot for sharing with me dear ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah Sarah, it's surely healthy and good.

    Cool Lassi(e), thanks a lot for that feedback. The fruit cake is one of my favorite pick ever!

    Hey Deepti... thank u so much for your award! I am flattered to receive from you!

    Gulmohar, u deserve the award!

    Warm welcome to Veg Bowl notyet100!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks FoodLovers, hope to see you coming out with more and more delicious recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations!
    The Panaka looks terrific. I'm sure it tastes just as great! Love the click too, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Panaka for the award! Very sweet of you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Madhuri and congrats to u too on ur 100th post!

    Hey Jessica and Aparna, it's a pleasure to share it with u guys. Well deserved!

    Hey Deepthi, I am wondering now, if I am supposed to nominate another 12, where am I am gonna run to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh what a lovely looking drink! Amazing photographs on your site. They are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Lovleen. Glad you are them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Apologies for that error... Thanks Lovleen. Glad you are liking them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Mallika, congratulations for the award! Thanks for sharing it! :)

    The Paanaka looks so good!! At the cost of being repetitive, you do take lovely photographs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mallika,
    Paanaka looks good. Congrats on your award. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That Panaka surely looks refreshing...Congrats for the award...Proud of you Sis...Keep going :) Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks SS and Swathi, it's nice to see u guys visit my space and drop a note of appreciation. Thanks guys... :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Paddy, I know track me secretly, yeah ;)

    Hey Lydia, thank you so much for that link. It was kind of you to share such useful information. I'm sure to check that site. Thanks a ton again! :D

    ReplyDelete