Pudina Paratha

, , 16 comments

Have you ever felt elated about bargaining and then ending up purchasing, possibly a few bucks lesser than the tagged price, with a feeling of euphoria while walking out of the shop about having won a battle (huh, with the shopkeeper)??? Admit! I do!!! Even that ephemeral satisfaction is such a joyous feeling, despite being just a transient moment!

I love the Wednesday sales in the nearby stores. I await. I rush. I grab. I bill! Any savings? Again I'm elated! A few lady-like traits that I carry at times ;) One such moment was a week ago when the nearby FoodWorld had their Wednesday sale. A bunch each of Spinach, Mint, Coriander leaves all costing as low as Rs 1. Can I ask for anything better than this? I rushed to the spot to find farm fresh aromatic green leaves piled in stacks on their vegetable counters. I picked few bunches of each and they lasted well over few meals, including breakfast.

One such breakfast affair saw this mildly spiced Mint (Pudina in Hindi) paratha. Simple, healthy and flavorsome, it's a satisfying breakfast for any morning. You may use the same recipe to make Puris too.


Pudina Paratha

INGREDIENTS:

1 bunch Pudina (mint leaves)
1 green chilli
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
2.5 cups wheat flour
1/4 - 1/2 cup water
Wheat flour for dusting
Salt (if you prefer)
1 tsp ghee/clarified butter (if you prefer)

DIRECTIONS:

Wash and clean the mint leaves. Pulse them along with a green chilli to puree in a food processor. Prepare the dough with wheat flour, mint puree, salt, adding little water, till everything comes together to form a soft dough. Knead well and set aside for 30 mins.

Keep some wheat flour aside for dusting the dough while rolling it out. Using the rolling pin, take a large lemon sized dough and roll it out in a circle of about 6 inches. Dust the dough if it sticks to the rolling pin. Once rolled out, place it on the hot iron skillet. Turn it over the moment you see small bubbles forming. Wait another 30 secs to a minute till the other side is partially cooked. Now turn it over again. At this point, drizzle a little butter or clarified butter (ghee) or oil around the sides of the paratha. Flip again and cook the other side too. Remove from the skillet. Brush the roti with ghee or butter for enhanced taste.


P.S. These photographs may not be the best and won't probably do sufficient justice to these parathas, but don't go by looks of it. I had the least patience to capture them on my camera as they were for my breakfast and I am particular about eating them hot!

16 comments:

  1. I'm always in for a deal :D
    Yummy and flavorful mint parathas..Pass it on to me with that yogurt and pickle..yummm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parathas look too good!! And I admit I feel great when I get a good bargain:-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come over Gulmohar. Would love to make these again for u!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a feel-good factor about winning a bargain, agree Suma? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm Looks Yummy, Inspired to try it this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do let me know how they turned out Shilpa. I'll be waiting to hear from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drool-worthy! I love any type of Paratha. This looks amazing. Lovely click, too...as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty post - and a beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deepti, I am fond of parathas too. This one is different, one of my favorites too :)

    Thanks Cooking Rookies, I love compliments in any way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. the mint must provide such a subtle and delicious flavor and aroma! great recipe, and good for you for finding a super deal on those ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  11. paratas look yummy!
    and i love deals too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah Grace, I love mint coz' it surely imparts subtle and delicious flavor to these parathas. :)

    Deals, Sales, Bargains, Offs, all are my favorites too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummmy! Never tried mint in paranthas. This is reason enough for me to do it now :)
    Who says the clicks are bad? They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried these.. turned out awesome! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Madhuri, mint in parathas are refreshing. They are mild and not over-powering at all. Thanks for loving the clicks!

    Hey Deepti, I am so glad they came out good. Thanks for letting me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Flavorful and healthy parathas..

    ReplyDelete