Coffee n' Biscuit Pudding Cake

, , 38 comments


Have you ever had a never fail recipe? I do! One of my embarrassing moments dates back to days when D invited one of his close friend home for dinner whom I was being introduced for the first time. Cooking was done to the best, Phulkas, Pulao, Palak Paneer, Lauki Kofta, Salads, etc. I did not leave any stone upturned for compliments, as if I was prepared for it!

His friend hailing from Andhra, loved spices to the core. D hadn't briefed me on this prior! I, on the other hand reduced spices (chillies) in my food considerably not knowing his taste. I have personally experienced moments where spicy food has led me to tears, but on being obliged have been compelled to eat! Considering such sympathetic moments with food ;) I decided to cook with lower spice in food that day.


Imagine my dismay as I served the food, this guy struggled to eat :( Being so accustomed to extreme spices, we could literally see him pushing food down this throat! Having put in so much effort in food with care and concern, I was baffled :( Later, my husband did have to take tantrums on not briefing me his tastes! He admits it ;)

To compensate the spice, I quickly whipped up a Potato Raita laden with green chillies (which surely had me in tears!), but was adored by him. I shall share that recipe some other day. As the dinner ended, I gently brought out this Coffee n' Biscuit Pudding Cake, served it with some gooey, warm chocolate over vanilla ice-cream. Pudding Cake was a HIT! Definitely a flattering moment to see them being eaten to hearts content, sought after for more helpings!

I have always had winning moments with these. Promise! It will not let you down. I have made these on infinite number of occasions, never been let down. It is such a simple, easy, no-bake recipe, quick to put together, melt in the mouth feel, great dessert to serve for any kind of a gathering, even for the worst taste-buds!!!


Coffee n' Biscuit Pudding Cake

INGREDIENTS

Prepare the custard:

1 packet vanilla flavored custard
1/2 litre milk
1/2 cup sugar

Layering the cake:

1 pack sweet-salt biscuits (I love to use Krack-Jack always)
1 tbsp coffee liquor or coffee decoction (see the note below)
Dried fruits & Nuts (Raisins, walnuts, cashews, almonds, pistachios)

Topping the cake:

Chocolate sauce
Chocolate shavings

DIRECTIONS

Prepare the vanilla custard following the instructions from the custard pack. Dissolve the custard powder in a little warm milk. Heat rest of the milk to a boil. Add sugar. Add the custard milk. Heat it on low flame till it thickens and is cooked. Stir constantly to prevent from burning. Consistency of the custard should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and be able to draw a line. Turn off the flame and allow to cool to just warm.

Line a square cake tin with a layer of cling film with the sides hanging outside the cake tin. Avoid it if you plan to serve the cake directly from the tin in pieces. First, dip the sweet-salt biscuit in warm coffee liquor or decoction for a few seconds. Do not dip the biscuits for long as we don't want the biscuits too soggy. They should retain a light crunch from within. Layer the base of a tin with sweet-salt biscuits dipped in coffee liquor. Avoid liquor if it's not your taste. I avoid liquor and use coffee decoction instead if I am to make this for a gathering. Coffee liquor does make a little difference though. The biscuits will absorbs it. Next, spread a good helping of the prepared custard over this layer.


Repeat with another layer of biscuits dipped in coffee liquor, topped with another layer of vanilla custard. Build about 3-4 layers, not beyond that, as it will not hold shape while serving. Place it in the fridge for few hours (about 4-5 hrs). If you plan to serve it for lunch, prepare it the overnight and let if refrigerate. Remove from the fridge about 5-10 minutes before serving.

Note: If you don't prefer using coffee liquor in your desserts, use coffee decoction instead. To prepare the coffee decoction, bring a cup of water to boil and turn off the flame. Then add a sachet of instant coffee powder to it. Allow it to sit for 5 mins and it's ready to use!

If you or your guest love chocolate, top it with warm chocolate sauce or chocolate shavings, as I did. I used Hershey's chocolate sauce here. Garnish with dry fruits and nuts before serving.


And to complete the story above, the Pudding cake did all the justice to the efforts taken in tedious cooking that day!

38 comments:

  1. Oh boy, thats really brethtaking...amazing job there, hats off to ur hard work...simply looks out of this world:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Malar, it's not just simply out of this world, it's healthier coz it has no cream in it, but is still creamy ;)

    Thanks SS, I am so glad u liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mallika,

    I am in love with this pudding, nice click, looks really good. I will try some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should I say wow, or should I say wow?!! :)
    I agree with Malar...they look out of the world!! Great job MD!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds so easy and yumm Mallika!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello
    I have a price for you on my blog, you can take it
    good day

    ReplyDelete
  7. gal...this not only looks DIVINE!!! i'm sure must have tasted awesome too...i'm dying to try this recipe...seriously all your snaps look so good...

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey, lovely!! i'm looking for no bake desserts and this one looks easy and yummy!
    do participate in my no bake cake event.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Mallika, this s really mouth watering..so delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow such healthy n creamy dish...v tempting too..lov ur presentation..i like ur blog layout tooo..;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. First time here, you have a lovely blog! Love the layout and your pictures are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweetie this looks so lovely and tempting....Amazing work on clicks simply superb :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one looks so delicious ... U really have so much patience to make and take all these pictures .. Oh boy I can't even imagine this

    Thanks mallika for dropping by and leaving ur lovely comments ..

    Good to see a fellow blogger from bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a delicious cake..and with biscuits..superb..really liked this recipe..really mouthwatering ..
    feel to taste this pls parcel it...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have all the ingredients with me now .I am going to try this .Looks superb!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. u got such a beautiful blog and this is such a beautiful no bake cake...sounds great and easy too...thanks for sharing it MD

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG! So mouthwater cake! that with biscuits..super idea!

    Nice presentation and clicks too MD.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantabulous...am drooling at your pictures...yumm yummm

    ReplyDelete
  19. Simple and fabulous luxury dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks so yummy and love the way u used the custard in biscuits.. really yummy .. I accept to what malar said its truely out of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look so good, I want to reach out for a large piece right now! I love your N-bake Desserts...and you had me at Krack-jack!

    Awesome clicks, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's early morning here and I haven't even brushed my teeth & I am so badly craving for a BIG slice of it!

    Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. hey.. here for the first time..and i m drroling over this space.. loved this pudding..bookmarked.. glad to hv found this space..following u.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi iam afirt timer here an dloved ur site to the core....came here thru Divyas blog....Iam following you straight away...

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi!

    i tried it this weekend and had some for lunch...its lovely and everyone loved it... its healthy, no added eggs and cream...i recommend it to everyone who like creamy dessert and want something healthy and not too heavy on the stomach..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. lovely pudding cake! bookmarking it

    ReplyDelete
  27. Finally posted it here :) http://www.sharmispassions.com/2010/10/no-bake-biscuit-custard-pudding-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. hi..
    can you please tell how to make the coffee decoction.i.e how much coffee powder(type) and amount of water.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anju, you could buy those small sachets of Nestle or Bru instant coffee for just Rs 1. Heat a cup of hot water and then add the instant coffee powder to it. Allow it to site for 5 mins and it's ready to use! I hope this helps. Do let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Mallika, first time here...oh boy! this looks soooo tempting...loved going throu ur wonderful space...happy to follow u...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Diwali!!
    I am new here....was trying to look for ice cream pudding - something thats easy and quick to make.... I tried this recipe and everyone lovedddd it. now I've become a fan and cant wait to try more from your blog. Thanks so much for putting this together.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks Nisa, I am glad you loved my space.

    Radhika, Thanks a ton for your feedback. This recipe has indeed been one of the most popular recipe on my site and appreciated by all. I am so glad your family and friends loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did
    you create this website yourself?
    Plz reply back as I’m looking to create my own
    blog and would like to know where u got this from.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Woow awesome it's seems delicious

    ReplyDelete
  35. Woow awesome fantastic it's seems delicious

    ReplyDelete