Date Walnut Muffins

, , 36 comments


We love our indulgences in dates and do often to curb our hunger, almost on a daily basis. It's one of those ingredients that goes into our cereal bowl without a second thought! Known for it's health benefits and natural sugars, it pairs well in a few fabulous desserts and is healthy too.

I initially intended to bake a good Date and Walnut Bread. But having run out of good quantity of the dates at hand required to bake the bread, I settled to make these muffins instead. I was skeptical how these muffins would turn out, since it's practically my first attempt at using dates as a replacer for eggs.

To enhance flavors, I used freshly-ground-at-home cinnamon powder. I haven't come across any store selling cinnamon powder here, so I have a few cinnamon sticks ground to powder for these occasions. Though cinnamon is so commonly used in our everyday cooking, it is not my taste in desserts. Saying this however, I have found them to do pretty well with a few fruity cakes which calls for all spices. Apart from this, I haven't exploited them much in desserts.

The muffins came out to be fantastic. Just perfect. These may not require any toppings, but would do justice if opted for. I topped a few of the muffins with a good helping of chocolate-y nutella which went superb as a frost. I got 6 large muffins from these. I also added in walnuts for that added edgy crunch.


Date Walnut Muffins

INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup pitted dates, chopped
1 cup hot milk
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup minus 1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp heap of walnuts

Frosting:

1 tsp Hazelnut spread Nutella
1/2 tsp broken walnuts


DIRECTIONS

Place dates and hot milk in bowl and allow it to stand for 10 mins so that the dates soften. Pulse this in a mixer till the dates coarsely combine with milk. I like those few fruity pieces coming through in my muffins as I bite into them. Add the oil and vanilla. Stir well again.

Preheat oven to 180ºC. Grease 6 cups of a muffin pan.

Sieve the flour in another bowl. Add in sugar, baking powder, soda and cinnamon into it. Mix them well.

Make a well into the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients and mix till they just combine. Finally add in walnuts. Spoon mixture into muffin pan, bake for 20 minutes until done.


I topped them with a frosting of Nutella which was spread with a butter knife. They made a fantastic topping. Opt for any other alternative of your choice.

The dates have an inherent sweetness, so test the sweetness to your taste before baking. The next time I make these I would like to try them with bananas. Another alternative should be brown sugar which may go very well in these. These are just my assumptions. I will post them here when I try them.

The sweetness of dates and milk came through well. It was mild and mellowed, just went perfect for the warm weather of the day. These freshly baked warm muffins with nutella frosting is my take this week with a warm cuppa homemade almond milk.

My Russian friend blogger, Natalya from Natalya Cooking has shown a kind gesture by sharing this Sweet Friends award with me and I am glad to accept it. Natalya has some great recipes with her blog translated into 3 languages: French, English and Russian, so that it can cater all masses. Take a peep. Thanks a lot Natalya. That was kind of you. The award comes attached with rules:


List 10 things that make you happy. (I would like to keep that for my next post ;))
Pass the award onto other blogs and let them know you have done so. I would like to recognize two bloggers here. Both are fabulous and talented with great recipes to share with all. Keep up the good job guys!

Saswati
Nitya

Note: I will be editing a few of my old posts with new photographs. So do check them out and drop your feedback. You may like to visit this one for now:

Homemade Pizza Dough
Onion Chutney

36 comments:

  1. Beautiful looking muffins. Tempting indeed with those lovely looking photographs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...looks delicious....wonderful clicks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drooling!! muffins are so tempting M D. Lovely Shots

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bet it tastes delicious for a snack with a hot cup of coffee. love the combo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely looking muffin, you present it really well...very beautiful clicks always, looks too tempting & delicious Mallika...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW..that looks so beautiful...lovely pic...delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so delicious and beautiful... mouthwatering snack...

    ReplyDelete
  9. These date walnut muffins look very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Luv those topping...dates and walnuts both are my fav combo...yummm they look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mallika
    Date walnut muffins looks really yummy and cute muffins. nice click too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow the muffin looks gorgeous.. Lovely clicks and absolutely yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look great! I love how you have used Nutella as frosting! Great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You dont't have t mention...the picture speaks for the muffins...definitely they look fantastic and I am sure they would have tasted awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wat a beautiful and elegant looks muffins...yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks awesomely yummy and perfect!! nice clicks too..

    ReplyDelete
  17. really delicious muffins..the presentation really i loved it..

    ReplyDelete
  18. An awesome combination!Those muffins look irresistible!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Yum...they look so pretty Mallika..I love dates in baked goods too and with a hint of cinnamon it would be just awesome.I am surely trying this out!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. une gourmandise pour laquelle il m'est impossible d'y résister, j'en raffole
    ils sont vraiment magnifiques et bien réussis
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  21. As usual fantastic photos and delicious recipe, i have pitted dates in my fridge and now i m craving to make these muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  22. First time here..U have a nice blog with wonderful baking recipes..Love u'r eggless date and walnut muffins

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yumm!! Date muffins with Nutella sounds too good!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome click..looks so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful clicks & Presentation.
    looks so yumm yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  26. beautiful muffins..they are my fav too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is it. Adopt me NOW!

    And needless to say.. your clicks have me in love with ur food - Every.Single.Time!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bookmarked to try.. And hey..Deepti...thnx to you for introducing me to this lovely blog

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cudn't wait to try it...so try I did post lunch today.. Absolutely sinful..Turned out perfect .. Thnks Mallika :) This is a keeps in my recipe book.. Just one small thing..I had to add a little more milk (Arnd 3 tbsps) when mixing the batter to get the consistency..Will take some pics and post it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Whenever I see cinnamon I skip the recipe- I cannot even tolerate/accept the smell in sweet dish! But in US it is one of the common ingr in sweet like our card.
    That is a new subst for egg! They are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  31. awesome muffins .. they look gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  32. The items with their photographs are really mouth-watering. Would like to taste it sometime.

    With best wishes,

    Appaji
    Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  33. Tried it and posted too :)
    http://www.sharmispassions.com/2010/11/eggless-dates-walnut-muffins.html

    ReplyDelete