Choco Chip Banana Bread

, , 45 comments


When I first ventured into the egg-less baking, my mom persuaded me to try bananas as a foolproof egg substitute. At that point, I was well focussed on attempting at other substitutes, especially the ones that could pair well with varied flavors. Baking with bananas did not strike my chord much. That's because bananas have a characteristic flavor of their own that can disguise other flavors in my bakes. So I refrained using them for long.

Not that I had given up baking with eggs completely, but I was immensely happy with the results I achieved with other alternatives and that deterred me from using eggs for quite sometime.


Bananas are so common at our place that there's virtually not a single day when we go without them. This time however we had a few excess of them and over a few days, a couple of bananas had been glaring at me on the table top with their pale looks. They seemed less consumable as is and I had to either toss them to the waste bin or make something out of them. Though the tossing rarely happens. After using a pair of them in rasayana and another pair in sheera for our breakfast, I was left with another 2 of them. My husband pointed me out that it's time I should bake a Banana Bread. I was intimidated by that thought as it was the best I could do with my dying fruits.


I baked a banana bread once earlier, just a few weeks ago as an experimental effort. Back then, they turned out quite fudge-y rather than 'bread like'. But that did not ruin it's taste and flavor. It was loved by everyone. I modified my recipe this time and the bread actually turned out amazingly good. It had a perfect texture, had baked beautifully and the flavors of dark chocolate chips mingled gorgeously well with the bananas.


Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

INGREDIENTS

2-3 small ripe bananas
1 cup flour (160 gm)
1/4 cup oil (40 gm)
1/2 cup sugar (70 gm)
1/4 cup milk or soy milk (40 ml)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (40 gm)

DIRECTIONS

Blend milk or soy milk with bananas. Add the oil. Add in the flour, the sugar, the baking powder and soda and mix with a wooden spoon. Finally introduce the chocolate chips.

Transfer to a clean bread tin. Bake on 180 deg C for 40-45 mins, till the top is golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool down on a rack, cut into slices and serve.


I cross my heart to say, this is by far the easiest and the most loved bread I have attempted. I mean, the ingredients are simple, there is no fuss with the recipe, it was an absolute solace to bake these. I love my bakes warm and these were no exceptions. As they baked and I took them out of the oven, I had little patience to wait for them to cool. In fact what you see here was cut warm.

The banana flavors were prominent on first of the bake. Surprisingly, they subsided and they could hardly be noticed the next day. I love my cakes when they have the moist crumb and I can tell you, these were not anything less than perfect!


45 comments:

  1. I was just thinking abt you ...and here ur post pops-up in my reader :)...bread looks sinfully delicious...lovely clicks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow looks soft and moist....sure they are super yum too! But I dont like banana in my cakes sure to try ur recipe with any other substitute for banana :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking Bread, chocolate just melted looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous bread, baked to perfection...looks delicious mallika, really loved it with chocochips

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice banana bread Mallika. i haven't tried with chocolate chips. Looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your banana bread...amzing clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. liked the combination of banana and choco-chips together...cannot go wrong with this ingredients...looks fantastic...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. VERY gr8 idea of banana and chocoo chips

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love banana bread. Yours looks great! Any suggestions for plain banana bread (without choc-chips)?

    ReplyDelete
  10. was thinking about you while making my oats and coconut cookies. this bread looks nice...never made any as Hubby does not eat banana but now the baby enjoys it and you have tempted me enough to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favourite combo for bread, looks very catchy with those chocolate chips..Tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello...as promised...I'm back for more. Am I glad to have stopped by. I always have very ripe bananas in the freezer waiting for the next recipe.
    Today, you helped me avoid an experiment of my own. Yes, I had heard of bananas replacing eggs...but for some reason, I was not totally convinced. So, there...an immense thank you for sharing your experience. I will make this banana bread next week at the latest ;O)
    Flavourful wishes, Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear MD,

    Banana bread with choco chips looks very moist and delicious.Love your presentation.

    I would like to let you know that I just started an event with whole foods.The present theme is cooking with wholegrains:barley.Please drop by and check it out and send your delicious recipes.Also would like to know if you are interested in hosting it in the future.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous bread mallika.. I love this combo always.. fantastic clicks as well.. wish I could get a slice...

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow !! simply perfect luved as they r eggless ,just wanted an eggless version..bookmarked..will surely try this one...simply mouthwatering ,just want to grab them right away ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the chips on top of the bread..It looks moist and spongy..

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW!! Fantastic pictures..Choco chip banana bread looks really yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I cannot stand the ripen banana smell, so think how can i use in baking! I adore the bread slices with choco chips pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic bread here Mallika!!! Super pics!! Looks oh-so-moist and spongy..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Banana Bread with choc chips is my favorite too.Lovely pics too!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. H! Mallika - Looks of Banana Bread is really gorgeous. Why did not you call me for a bite. I would have loved to take a bite especially when it is prepared w/o egg.

    Appa

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are my favorite...and she has made whenever i requested in a jiff ;)
    thank u

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the pictures! Chocolate chips in banana bread is just wonderful, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. They are awesome. Nice color and spongy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fudgy banana bread...definitely not a bad thing.

    This looks delicious. I can tell just by looking at the texture that I would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your banana bread looks awesome MD, love the gorgeous clicks, wish i could grab few slices right away!

    ReplyDelete
  27. ummmm...Heavenly...Lovable...attractive...
    Mannn i need to hunt for words now...so very tempting MD...nice clicks too...
    I tried banana bread but never tried in this way...thanks for sharing MD and thanks for ur lovely comments in my articles blog..:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ur a rockstar Mallika !!! Everything is so very tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome clicks..looks so perfect and yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks sooooo good! I am getting some bananas and making this!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I thought i left a comment earlier..
    anyway this looks spectacular..am definitely drooling

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is definitely a recipe I am bookmarking and making very soon; I too prefer to bake without eggs, and I love that your cake turned out so much and delicious. The chips add a note of yummy chocolate to the bread while the bananas mellow it out. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You've had me sold here! Got me at chocolate chips, got me at banana, and you got me at chocolate-chip banana bread! Woot, woman...are you gonna let me diet? I highly doubt it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. that looks heavenly...these days im so stuck in facebook that i hardly get any time to visit other blogs....it seems i have missed so much of ur posts....loved that pudding...that vanilla one...let me hop on to other posts of urs..this cake too loooks great!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I came across this which searching on the net.. Awesome receipes... I showed this to my wife yesterday and she tried few receipes...

    I never thought cooking was so easy.. I am fond of food and yesterday while helping her, i found that cooking was fun and both of us enjoyed making and eating... It was a great weekend treat for us.. Thanks for making this public... Its a good learning and a good treat as well... Good going...


    ... Naveen

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks Naveen for your feedback. Cooking is therapeutic and I am glad you've discovered that joy in cooking. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Dear, i am new in baking can u tell me why my bread base and top is always so crusty and hard, means we can only eat them warm,i love to eat them that way, but if i want to keep them, after cooling they becom rock hard, any answers. please help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi,
    Can I replace bananas with apple *and some other ingredient if required)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yes you can, it should work till you puree the fruit and does not have too much of runny water content in it. If it's runny then, you may have to adjust the quantity of milk to be added. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love your recipe, been cooking by your recipe for years now. It taste too good. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete