Blueberry Crumble

, , 28 comments


Time flies real fast and it’s hard to believe that an entire year has gone by and is steadily coming to an end. December is here and though I don't see much festivity beckoning the air at the moment, I am sure the latter part of month will be filled with lot more sight to behold as it comes alive with tinsel world lighting, fireworks and merriment. And I am eagerly looking forward to it.

Desserts haven't been ruling my kitchen off late for sometime now. DH has been away for a while and I am currently enveloped in the wings of mom's cooking, enjoying my stay at parent's place. I am not surprised if I end up with ounces of added extra weight, despite the slash in the desserts made and consumed. All courtesy, home cooked food by mummy! While I am thoroughly missing my kitchen, cooking, cutlery, gadgets, photography, along with the freedom of doing what my mind presides over, I am currently enjoying the bounty treats churned by mom lovingly on a daily basis.


It amazing how good cooks our moms turn out to be. I mean, it seems perfect when my mom throws in the spices judged by experience to create that aromatic dish with well balanced flavors, hitting the right flavors. It may be a simple dish, whether it's salt or spice, sweet or tang, there's a right balance. It's then I realize that I have a long long way to go. While my mother used to make exotic western desserts and bakes long while ago, these days she prefers to stick by traditional Indian meals. At times, it's a fusion food. But by and large, it's the Indian food that dominates her kitchen. I am taking the privilege of learning some traditional recipes which I hope to re-create in my kitchen soon and post here as well. But for the moment, I am posting this Blueberry Crumble that I made for DH before his departure.


Blueberry Crumble

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup Blueberry Pie Filling
50 gm unsalted butter
100 gm plain flour
50 gm cup confectioner's sugar

DIRECTIONS

Pre-heat the oven first. Into a pie dish / tart mould or ramekins, spoon the blueberry pie filling and level the base. Fetching fresh blueberries was not an option for me, so I settled to use Mother Maid's Blueberry Pie Filling. Fresh Blueberries would probably give out more flavors. In case you are using Keep it aside till we prepare the crumbs.

Combine the confectioner's sugar and flour in a wide mouth bowl. Quickly cut in the butter into this mixture using your fingers till the entire mixture resembles like coarse bread crumbs. Transfer these crumbs to top the blueberry filling till it's completely covered. Bake in a pre-heated oven to 180 deg C for approximately 20-30 minutes till the top is baked golden brown. Remove and allow to cool for 10 mins. Serve warm with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.


If you love the biscuit base, you can spread a handful of the crumble mixture on the tart base, then follow it with fruit on this, ending with the crumble for the topping. This Blueberry Crumble is totally effortless and can be put in matter of few mins.

I have about 3 tartlet moulds which are almost 30 years old. They were owned by my mother earlier and then handed down to me. I made one batch in these cute small tartlet mould and next in a medium sized pie dish. Fabulous for single helpings. The gooey, fruity tart blueberry base offsets well with the biscuit crumble topping. Served warm with a generous dollop of ice cream, they are absolutely heavenly!

28 comments:

  1. beautiful recipe. I have a jar of preserved blackbeies, guess this recipe will work with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to have one of these yummilicious crumbles with my cuppa now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrumptious crumble,looks absolutely divine..

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great and the shots are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow looks amazing with beautiful clicks ...... truly delicious mallika.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so good and yummy :) love the snaps a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful crumble Mallika. nice recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely recipe .... Love ur beautiful clicks too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so yummy! New template MD! Looks bright and spacious. I liked the older one a lot though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG... how i missed your space so long time... you have a great space and wonderful recipes... bookmarked urs immediately.... fantastic clicks...

    when u find time, do visit my blog...

    Dish Name Starts with C: - Main Dishes & Cakes
    Dish Name Starts with C: - Snacks & Sweets
    Dish Name Starts with C: - SideDishes & Beverages

    Event: Dish Name Starts with D

    Regards,
    Akila.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to see a bake and a dessert at that here :-)). Our mothers sure know how to throw things together and get that perfect blend of flavors.

    Am so tempted to try a crumble... I also happen to have a huge pack of ice cream in my freezer;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make it look so lovely, I am a fan of your photography :-)
    myfoodarama.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore all the fruit crumble...they are simply delightful, quick n decadent..this one looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bumped upon your blog today , just loved going through your posts and loved the clicks a lot. Following you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious.. the pictures are talking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a wonderful dessert...Love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scrumptious blueberry crumbles!!! Loved it...yummm ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bet that's delicious, and it looks SO easy too. I like fresh blueberries very much, but they are out of season here too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woah...your blog is just awesome...great ensemble of recipes and the photos make it even more appealing..great going...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty pretty. I am wishing myself the crumble and the cute dishes for myself right now :-)

    have a wonderful holiday and prosperous new year.

    ReplyDelete