Falooda (in a Shot Glass!)

, , 33 comments


I am without my camera from past few days and I feel totally handicapped. With it becoming a part of my routine life, just like any other day to day activity like cooking, serving and then photographing the cooked :). Just being left alone without it pushes me to be impulsive and is driving me crazy. It's one of those essentials without which I am not at ease. For the moment, I am left with my Sony Ericsson C510 which I hardly use and most definitely not when it comes to food photography!

I feel almost guilty posting this here. This one comes from my drafts that's been sitting idle for long. With the day being fairly warm and sunny, what followed was a very simple South Indian lunch. And to end it's simplicity, we treated ourselves with this gorgeous Indian beverage dessert, Falooda. I am not sure if I would call this a beverage or a dessert! Either ways, they are great for sure!

Falooda, a popular chilled beverage dessert is served in tall glasses, filled to the brim and topped with dollops of ice cream is made primarily by mixing delicately flavored rose milk with vermicelli and tapioca seeds. What a perfect way to cool off the summer heat! With the addition of vermicelli, tapioca seeds and rose milk, this can get quite filling. So make sure you have your hunger pangs on, else this can get too stodgy.


This is one such treats that brings reminiscence of my childhood. Those evening hangouts on Mumbai streets or Pabbas Ice cream parlors in Mangalore, where shopping craze were endless and when hunger pangs meddled us through those moments, a dash into these ice cream parlors with family and friends meant time spent over good food, chit chat talks and stress unwound.

Falooda

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup falooda sev (fine roasted vermicelli)
1 cup chilled milk
Sugar, to taste
Few almonds and pistachios, chopped
2 tbsps sabza, (basil seeds, tukmaria)
1/4 tsp rose essence
2 scoops ice cream of your choice


DIRECTIONS

Into the chilled milk, add the sugar and rose essence to taste and mix well. Add one scoop of vanilla ice cream to this and churn well. This gives it a nice thick texture. Chill this in refrigerator till it's needed.

Next, boil the vermicelli in water till cooked al dente. Strain the cooked vermicelli and keep them aside to cool. Discard the water. Chill this as well in refrigerator till needed.

In a bowl, submerge the sabza seeds (also known as Basis seeds) in sufficient water for about 20-30 mins. These seeds swell up beautifully and will look transparent with an eye at the center. Strain and discard the excess water. Reserve the puffed up subza for assembling the falooda.

Assemble the Falooda:

I chose shot glasses to assemble the Falooda. Traditionally, this is done in tall glasses. So make your choice. In each glass, place the vermicelli till it reaches 1/5th the glass height. Top this with a tablespoon or more of soaked sabza seeds.

Pour in the chilled rose milk till just below the rim. Add the chopped nuts and top it a scoop of ice cream of your choice. Garnish with candied cherries. Serve chilled.


Most ice cream parlors add jelly cubes to this. I opted to leave it as I am not very fond of them. You may add them as per your preference. Also care for how much of rose essence you use. The one I used was pretty strong, just a few drops were sufficient to bring deep flavors and colors. You may opt for rose syrup too. But judge how much of it you would need.

Instead of serving these in tall glasses, I chose for smaller treats in shot glasses since it was our post lunch dessert. We loved this thought. They were neither too filling nor heavy, just right. This pot of falooda gorgeously topped with ice cream went on a melting spree and it played a spoilt sport for my photography that sunny day. Rose is one of my favorite flavors and least exploited one too, so that gives me another excuse to make these more often. Nevertheless, this is something I will make more often, not just for us, but for future get-together parties too.

33 comments:

  1. Just back after lunch and u r tempting me with this falooda....looks so yummilicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey malli this looks so colourful and yumm, nice to see ur post after long. Super Duper will try this soooooon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to make this from long time.Even i know the recipe but I donts know where to get this subza seeds in chennai.Any way yours look very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.....Nice falooda......I love Ice cream....this is looking so colourful......loved it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, am just drooling rite now here...very tempting and gorgeous clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't u worry..i am getting back and i can understand how u must be feeling without the camera :).
    Falooda looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! tempting...wonderful click MD:-)
    Thank you so much for your support and wishes Dear..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmmmmmmm i love it and particularly i love serving the dessert in shot glasses.. me too posted BFT in shot glasses today. By the way clicks are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!!! Falooda looks so tempting and the clicks are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mallika,

    Falooda looks very delicious and tempting. Nice clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've not heard of Felooda before - it looks lovely and I'm sure I would find it delicious. Hard to imagine it being hot - we are in the grip of a icy spell in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow... this looks heavenly... what a pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so tempting.. I am totally wanting it now :) yummmmy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow looks so yummy and inviting falooda..

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow..looks sooper...wow, i cannot take my eyes off of it..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh, that falooda is calling me! What a lovely dessert! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is too beautiful to let you feel guilty, Mallika! :) You can use your rose essence / water in Baklava and other Mediterranean desserts too (if you were looking for ideas).

    Oh and I must say thanks to you! I was so inspired by your black forest cake (a while back) that I finally made it this last weekend. Although I must admit I totally took a shortcut and made a box cake and bought canned cherries and pre-whipped cream. Still.. in my head was the picture of your cake! :) I won't be posting it on my blog.. but just wanted to mention to you! :) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this dessert or beverage or whatever its called:) In fact I had first eaten it in Mumbai at some very famous place supposedly frequented by movie stars(the guy had pasted pics too!!). Looks very inviting..

    I have been looking for sabza since a long time. Where did u find it here?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks SS for that idea on Baklava. Baklava has been on my list for long, but could never make it. Do let me know if you have more recipes which use Rose flavors. I would love to try them.

    Suma, I found subza seeds in the Foodworld outlet in Whitefield. They don't often stock it, so you must be lucky to get your hands on them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd cry if I had to be without my camera. I only have one camera, and I neeeeed it!
    The Falooda looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely pic....they look awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My fav...love to have it anytime:...looks too good:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks superb,love the cool colour,yummy clicks as well!

    ReplyDelete
  24. looks soooooper delicious...ur blog is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  25. Even without yr camera you have done justice to the pics. Falooda looks delicious!

    I will be in m'lore in a week. And Pabbas is definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous pictures... drooling.......

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey lovely pictures... very very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Had Falooda last week and I must admit that it was the best I ever had! I am still drooling!

    ReplyDelete