Sukhe Aloo

, , 28 comments


Recipes that are super quick and take barely few minutes are always on my menu list. As a working woman, these recipes are a great rescue, real time savers. Mondays through Fridays are time when I breeze through my kitchen, washing, cleaning, cooking as fast as I can, to make time for packing lunch or dinner for both of us and rush to work. You can imagine our mornings like a movie played in a fast forward mode! Sometimes, it's a crazy rush we deal with!


Cooking has to be full fledged, be it any day. Especially if it's lunch... rice or rotis, a dal, a vegetable subzi, papad, pickle, yogurt... yes I love all of it on my plate. And it's only when I see my plate full in it's standard fashion, would I be completely satisfied.

With such routine that's streamlined by me, I don't like to bend my schedule when it comes to food. For those days when I am in hurry, I have a few recipes which are boon to me. They are quick, easy, require the basic ingredients off the shelf. A few ingredients I always have in stock are masala powders like fenugreek, cumin and coriander powder which add great flavor and body to recipes which are simple and basic, yet extremely flavorsome. Potatoes, though not my favorites, are always in my stock for their good shelf life, also a great rescue on days when I run out of greens and vegetables in my kitchen.


One such recipe which I humbly learnt from my mother is this Sukhe Aloo or simply translated to Dry Spiced Potatoes have always been our favorites.

Sukhe Aloo

INGREDIENTS

2 large potatoes, chopped to cubes
1 tsp good quality asafeotida/hing powder
1 tsp fenugreek/methi powder
1 tbsp coriander/dhaniya powder
1 tsp jeera/cumin powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves & lime to garnish


DIRECTIONS

You may either use pre-boiled and diced potatoes or freshly cut potatoes. If you use boiled potatoes, the oil consume is lesser compared to the latter. If you have boiled potatoes at hand, this makes the recipe much faster, taking less than 5 mins to complete the recipe.

In a frying pan, heat a tbsp of oil. When the oil is hot, add in all the dry spice powders, the hing, methi powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder and quickly stir fry for 15-20 sec. Don't let the spices burn, else they will turn bitter and lose their flavors. Add in the potatoes and coat them well with these spices. In case you use boiled potatoes, stir fry everything for about 2-3 minutes till the potatoes heat through and the spices coat the potatoes well. If using freshly cut potatoes, you may add another teaspoon of oil. Cover and cook for few minutes till they are done. Add a dash of lime and garnish with coriander leaves.

Just a few dry spice powders go into making this dish exotic and flavorsome. Do not miss on hing and coriander powder, it's such a perfect medley of flavors. The spice coating on the potatoes take a matter of 2 minutes to be put together, creating an aromatic dish which you will love for sure. Pair with any simple dal and these go great with rotis and rice likewise. Enjoy!

28 comments:

  1. This is simple and fantastic. Me as a potato lover would love it this way as well :) You seem to cook quickly and click them so well presented too. You really have magic in you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing curry. You have presented it wonderfully as well. Lovely post indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so gud and yum..love the pic and your new template is so cool....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg....send one parcel dear.....perfect clicks and presentation...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the subzi!
    The lovely print almost distracts from the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A humble dish made to look so exotic by beautiful presentation..simply good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love potatoes...who doesnt?! Lovely curry, simple and flavourful

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow they look so beautiful....yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sukhe aloo looks awesome Mallika, nice one with roti.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, I love potatoes and that looks delicious..perfect with some hot rotis..yumm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummmm-de-dummm! I love potatoes in any form. Your bowl of sukhe aloo is calling out to me, crying out my name loud and clear :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woww marvellous sukhe aloo,just mouthwatering here..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have missed quite a few posts past weeks. Sukke Aloo look lovely. I loved your pudding and the arabiatta too! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I make sure I stock up on potatoes at all times as its truly a life saving veggie! Makes an easy sandwich or paratha or subji for the morning school rush..

    We are a potato loving family, this sure looks really inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am really wanting to try out the methi powder in the aloo; I can just tell that this is a simple but one flavorful dish. I have used methi to temper dry aloo subzi, but never used the powder. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, wow..The pictures are mindblowing and sukhi alloo looks way too tempting

    ReplyDelete
  17. I surely finish of the whole plate... perfectly roasted and way toooo toooo tempting Dear.. mindblowing clicks too.. love all the props u used.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect with hot pooris..loved your presentation :)

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely! I always get struck in ur blog, Pics making me hang out here for long time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I make this often N it goes soo well with dal N rice .. I haven't used Hing in it. will try it next time ..

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a grate looking dish..love it..
    bookmarked your page will back to it soon

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well said about mornings...sukhe aloo dammdaar...

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow lovely clicks and my favorite vegetable ...... looks delicious .....

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm potato lover and I love trying any recipe with potato ..this recipe of yours is a must-try, will go well with roti and dal..hey, I've shared an award with you, pl. come and collect from my blog, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey......There is some surprise waiting for you..visit my blog....

    http://wwwchitranna.blog.spot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sukhe aloo is surely worth trying..Quick n easy..just love ur cooking style :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. visited your blog last week.. and i treid this aloo last nite .. it was a success. thank you so much for this easy recipe without the hassle of chopping onions! my hubby relished it. I like your blog for all the subjy recipes.. i myself am not a vegan, but prefer veg dishes with my rotis!! you have a good collection. Can yuo also share your way of palak paneer? I am yet to find a good recipe in the net.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks a lot Geetha, glad you liked my aloo subzi. I shall surely share the recipe for Palak Paneer. We make a Punjabi styled Palak Paneer at home. Hope to post it soon on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete