Gobi 65 - Indian styled Cauliflower Fritters

, , 18 comments


Deep frying and I don't always go well. Side line the health factors, just the intimidating thought of keeping a wok filled with sizzling hot oil and having to work with it sounds a very daunting job. Stir fries and shallow fries are common in my household and are done on a day to day basis, but loading a skillet full of oil for deep frying is a reserved feat, also something I prefer to push for the weekends.

I read a snippet from newspaper not long ago that consuming oil reheated at high temperatures can be harmful and carcinogenic to health. Since then, eating deep fried items outside home has reduced considerably. We proactively avoid it fearing ill effects on health. I despise discarding a wok full of used oil down the drain post frying, since it's an utter waste :( That's another reason that whenever I do fry, I ensure all my frying is done in the same batch of oil in one go, instead of reheating the same. That saves time and wastage too.


Cravings for spicy fries don't always haunt me, but when they do, they can be pretty bad! Not long ago, an afternoon, as I sat down to blog, browse and blog hop, post our lunch around 4 pm, I stumbled over this crispy fried snack Gobi 65, by Pavithra. This was etched in my mind. I could hardly hold my temptations longer. Her step by step photography through the recipe motivated me further. It was a sudden urge to have something hot and spicy that evening. Lucky enough, I had a huge cauliflower already cut into florets sitting my fridge, thus making the daunting task of cleaning and chopping even more simpler.

Gobi 65 is a very popular snack available in most Indian street food stalls and restaurants, with versions of this snack in Paneer, Chicken, Mushroom, etc. which are equally popular. It's more commonly found in outlets which cater to Indo-Chinese food. The ingredients are simple and readily available in most kitchens at any hour. Hence no fuss too.


Gobi 65

INGREDIENTS

1 medium sized cauliflower, cut into florets
1 cup thick sour yogurt / Indian set curd (use thick curd)
1 tbsp fresh minced ginger garlic paste
1-2 tsp garam masala
3 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
Salt, to taste
Cornflour, about 3 tbsp for each batch of florets
Oil for deep frying
Curry leaves, green chillies, lime wedges - for garnishing


DIRECTIONS

Grind garlic and ginger to paste. Wash the curry leaves thoroughly and pat it dry. Cut and clean the cauliflower, drain out all the water.

In a separate bowl, take some thick curd. I used thick sour curd, hence omitted the lime juice mentioned in original recipe. Add the fresh minced ginger garlic paste, Kashmiri chilli powder, garam masala and salt. Check for salt, sourness and spice levels in this stage. Whisk the batter, add the florets and mix well.

Meanwhile, heat oil in the deep pan. Now take handful of the florets in a small bowl add 3 tbsp of cornflour mix well. Allow the florets to be nicely coated with flour, dusting out excess flour. Cornflour gives a good crispness and crunch on frying. Drop each floret into the sizzling hot oil one by one and fry them. As they fry, add in few curry leaves. Remove from the oil and drain them on a kitchen towel. You can sprinkle some chaat masala if you like. Serve hot with ketchup.


Most restaurants use red food color to bring out brightness in food on plate. I somehow dislike that artificial redness from food colors. I refrain from using any color, instead use Kashmiri lal mirch (Kashmiri chilli powder) which brings out a good deal of color. Pretty decent, if not for the blood red. For more heat, you may fry a green chilli in the same oil briefly till they blister and serve along with these fritters. I served them with freshly chopped onions, lemon wedges and tomato ketchup. A yum treat for an evening snack. This crispy, tongue tickling appetizer is not just great for an evening snack, but serves as a great starter too.

18 comments:

  1. Perfectly done!!! just like the ones we get in restaurants .. really makes me drool..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this snack....looks super delicious n yumm

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm yummy..looking at the click itself makes me crave for it..nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect snack...looks just like restaurant made...and what an eye catching colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so delicious and crispy... Would love for anytime snack...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfecto!!!I too dont like deep frying at all, but of someone offer me some i dont really mind :P. Looks crispy and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummmy yummy love it...awesome clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks perfect.. Amazing clicks too..

    ReplyDelete
  9. i make a version of this too...but looking at your dish, i realize, mine has a lot of scope for improvement....they look gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done..pics are droolworthy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cant take my eyes from those crispy fritters, irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely pictures

    http://www.panchamrutham.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. now that is something id like to dig my hands into

    ReplyDelete
  14. Droolworthy images! I am having a sudden urge to have them now..:D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks so crispy n perfect, lovely color even without the food color...

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow this looks amazing.. im going to forward this reciepe to my mother shes a vego/.

    ReplyDelete