Apple Cinnamon Pudding

, , 19 comments


Just a couple of weeks ago I had mentioned about the SCS group dispatching a pack of Apple goodies. They contacted me later again with an invite for a live cooking demonstration of Washington Apples by Chef Vicky Ratnani. Had it not been for my daughter who was then less than a month old, I would have made every effort to be a part of that demo. Nevertheless, I am hopeful I will get more opportunities in future to attend similar blogger and press meets and not miss any :).

Almost during the same time when I posted this Apple Chutney made from the apples I received from SCS, I also made this dessert. I am not a fan of cinnamon in my desserts. I owe it to our Indian cooking traditions where cinnamon is extensively used as a spice in cooking various savory meals, but never in desserts. Using cinnamon extensively in desserts is more a Western concept similar to what cardamom is to us. Unfortunately, my attempts at liking cinnamon rolls have been disastrous too :( I have to admit I still love cardamom over cinnamon in my desserts.

Somehow apple desserts have always been paired with cinnamon flavors. Though personally it's not my favorite, my mom persuaded me to try cinnamon flavor in this pudding since apples made it's base. I was at my mom's place due for delivery and this dessert was served to my family for our lunch. The dessert being eggless was most relished by dad. Unaware that this was a Apple Cinnamon Pudding, he found it interestingly different from our traditional Indian desserts :) Glad he loved it.


Apple Cinnamon Pudding

INGREDIENTS

2-3 tbsp. corn flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tart apples
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Toasted flaked almonds and raisins to garnish


DIRECTIONS

Wash the apples thoroughly. Par, core and grate them. Heat a tablespoon of butter and add the grated apples. Cook them on low flame till they have softened well and most of the water content from the apples has evaporated. Turn off the flame and add in cinnamon powder. Set aside to cool.

Dissolve corn flour in 1/4th cup of milk and set aside. Boil the rest of the milk along with brown sugar. Reduce the flame and slowly add in the corn flour milk mixture in a thin stream stirring the milk continuously. Simmer and cook till the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Allow to cool. Finally add in the above cooked apples to the prepared pudding and mix everything well. Transfer to a pudding dish and refrigerate for 2-3 hours and serve cold. Garnish well with toasted flaked almonds and raisins.


The pudding overall was great and my family loved it. The toasted flaked almonds and raisins added crunch and nuttiness to the dish which I enjoyed the most. Not the best pudding to my tastes since I still can't seem to love cinnamon in my desserts. I may need more time on that. However, this doesn't mean you will not like it. You probably will if you love apple cinnamon combo.

19 comments:

  1. lovely,
    never tried this, will do soon
    thanks for sharing :-)
    bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one beautiful shot of apples. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A delightful treat! Beautiful shots.
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat a beautiful pudding, feel like finishing that wonderful bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks brilliant. The recipe is simple yet exotic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apple cinnamon pudding looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apple and Cinnamon combo in a pudding sounds absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same pinch MD...I wud prefer elachi to cinnamon for the very same reason u told.....But yes apple with cinnamon is such a flavourful combination and it is an exception to my usual taste buds :) I have made a a similar dessert apple custard but with no cinnamon am sure the addition will make a change and add super flavour to the dessert..Looks yummy. Hugs to the lil angel :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. even im not a big cinnamom fan. But with apples, cinnamon tastes just right :) lovely and creamy pudding :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. sadly cinnamon in desserts are acquaintance taste first time i had it wan't for me as well, it took some time, now i'm totally into it! and ur pudding is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so gud ....I loved it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thatz a superb creamy pudding!! i just adore the cinnamon flavor..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful beautiful beautiful... I don't have any words to say how gorgeous the recipe and pics are.... superb:)
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a gorgeous looking pudding..I love cinnamon flavour in my desserts but the cardamom flavour rules in all the Indian desserts.
    Beautiful clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks simply perfect and tempting.. beautiful presentation dear.. thanks for sharing !!
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a delightful dessert..love the combo of apple and cinnamon...mm..YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello dear, how you been? Hope you are in the pink of health.

    That apple pudding is to die for...what a delicious treat! :D

    ReplyDelete