Corn, Capsicum and Olive Pizza with Creamy Mint Coleslaw

, , 20 comments


Before she came into our life, our weekends would tend to be laid back and relaxed. Unlike other days, waking up late on Sundays, to enjoy a cup of tea and biscuits is followed by warming up for the lovely day ahead. While he holds my attention to the bits of snippets read from the newspaper I get busy preparing the breakfast. Later a walk down to the nearby supermarket is the most looked forward to as I enthusiastically load my baskets with items and groceries required for the week ahead.

An odd vegetable rarely seen peeks through the regular stack of veggies, seasonal fruits catch a paramount attention and new food products on stands excite me to the pinnacle. Sometimes just a handful of items may suffice our needs, but I always end up going over board shopping in a supermarket, especially on a weekend when time is at our luxurious disposal. The stroll over the counter rarely ends in window shopping. Yeah, this often happens :) Temptation over powers and rules over resistance. I stack my crates and load them with stuffs that tempt me, mostly fresh items that were not seen on my previous visit, picked right off the rack. The battling eyelids of my husband showing reluctance are often ignored. Back home, I am a content woman. :D


Since a couple of months I have been missing food events and blogger's meets. I pinch myself to say a no. But at this stage my baby needs me the most and hence missing these events is inevitable. I love meeting bloggers personally in these meets. Apart from just good food, there's lots more to it... loads of talks, sharing thoughts and new acquaintances, all revolving around one common passion, that's called FOOD!

When I happened to miss one such event, I had to make something different from usual to compensate the miss :) Pastas and pizzas happen to be our all time favorites. Fruits and vegetable are bought fresh on a day to day basis. I love using an array of vegetables that bring out varied colors and contrast on plate. The scarlet reds from plum ripe tomatoes, bright yellow shades of gold from the corn, dotted with somber shades of capsicum and olives are a color treat to my eye. This pizza puts together a great color wheel!


Corn, Capsicum and Olive Pizza

INGREDIENTS

2 medium sized Pizza base (Refer to this recipe for a Homemade Pizza dough. A store bought pizza base will also do.)
1 cup Pizza sauce, recipe for Homemade Pizza sauce

1/2 cup onions
1/2 cup tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
1/2 cup green capsicum
1/2 cup black olives

1/4 cup mozzarella cheese

DIRECTIONS

Pre-heat the oven to 250 deg C.

Chop the vegetables as per your choice. I cut onions and tomatoes into rings, hand picked corn kernels from fresh corn while the capsicum was chopped to bite sized strips. The black olives I used were readily cut rings. Spread the pizza sauce on the pizza base. Top them with onion rings, followed by capsicum, corn kernels and black olives. Top this with shredded mozzarella cheese. A heavy topping of shredded quality mozzarella cheese will make this pizza delectably rich.

Bake in a pre-heated oven for about 30 minutes. If using a store bought pizza base, please reduce the baking time, generally 15-20 mins should suffice. Bake till the cheese becomes golden brown in color. Slice and serve hot.


Creamy Mint Coleslaw

INGREDIENTS

2 cups shredded cabbage
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 tbsp fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used eggless mayo)
1 cup thick yogurt
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, optional
Salt and Pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

Mix mayonnaise, yogurt and lemon juice in a small bowl. Blend well. Add in the vegetables and freshly torn mint leaves. Toss well. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Keep in refrigerator until ready to eat.


Pairing with this veggie loaded pizza, I made this comforting creamy coleslaw. It's light, yet creamy and saucy. I kept it low on mayo and heavy on thick yogurt, loving the tang it rendered. If your yogurt is sour, skip the lemon juice.

I love making pizza base and pasta sauce at home. May be a little extra effort, but the result is worth it. My pizzas are generally laden with vegetables and go easier on cheese. I love to keep my pizzas heavy on vegetables and lighter on cheese. This was a perfect compensation for a Sunday lazily spent and the event missed.

20 comments:

  1. jus Awesome..now this makes me so hungry

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colourful pizza is so tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning pizza.. Makes me crave for it :) drool worthy clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowwwww.. looks so tempting and delicious.. amazing clicks !!
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tempting lovely pizza....awesome clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this coleslaw recipe...perfect accompaniment for Pizza. how is the lil one doing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Give me that stunning pizza and rich looking coleslaw, am ready to finish it rite now..yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely coleslaw recipe, looks so amazing along with pizza to accompany..just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum--I love corn topping on my pizza!Have bookmarked your deep dish Pizza,armed with a fresh batch of yeast,I might try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always love corn topping on my pizza...and the coleslaw with egg less mayo is too tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Homemade pizzas are always my fav...with corn I am sure the pizza would have tasted awesome. Nice clicks MD

    ReplyDelete
  12. AAAh!!! What a lovely Pizza. It's a real eye candy!!! It's been ages since I made pizza at home. Guess it's high time I started making them again :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So lovely n i love these toppings these r my fav..awesome clicks n coleslaw is yumm

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy pizza..love the topping and the coleslaw...great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love ly combo with loads of veggies....awesome recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved the colsow here and Pizza looks so yum with olives on top!

    ReplyDelete
  17. that is a brilliant pizza with a colorful array of topping and very unique ones at that! hats off - bookmarking to try :) following you! would love to see you on my blog as well :) cheers, priya

    ReplyDelete
  18. its looking very delicious.....so many colors and flavors.....lovely recipe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks all for those wonderful comments :)

    ReplyDelete