Baked Cheesecake with Orange Glaze

, , 25 comments


Celebrations generally continue at our place with birthdays falling in the first week of January. The Capri girl that I am, I am usually flooded with greetings not only for the New Year, but following my birthday too. I am extremely poor at remembering birth dates and I feel overwhelmed when people take effort to remember my birthday and wish me, including my close friends whose birthdays I've always missed to wish. It happens often that I end up remembering them a week or even a month later, then repenting not having wished them, once again.

The trip to Mangalore earlier during the Christmas was fun. Being at home town is always comforting and that too in a city where I grew up and spent most of my teen life. Yes, I do have a sense of belonging attached here. We relaxed and the trip took us away from all the hustle bustle of city life. We rested through our stay, while the calm, serene and peaceful city indeed did the best to our souls and we felt extremely rejuvenated post the trip.


And even as we were bouncing back to our routine life, we had another trip planned in advance to Mumbai. Hubby hadn't seen Mumbai for more than a decade and badly wanted to pay a visit. With all that travel and bag packing done, there wasn't much scope for baking for my birthday. Fortunately, we were home on the New year eve. With our baby around, her sleep and food patterns would hamper her schedule and put us to trouble, so we stuck to staying indoors and partying at home. Same evening when I had a little time at hand, I put a few ingredients together and worked briskly to bake this simple yet delicious cheesecake which we not just enjoyed over the New Year Eve, but was carried over to my birthday as well.


Baked Cheesecake with Orange Glaze

INGREDIENTS

For the Crust

75 gms digestive biscuit (I used McVities)
1 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp melted butter

For the Filling

1 cup grated homemade fresh paneer (cottage cheese)
1 cup medium fat cream
1/2 cup thick hung yogurt/Amul Srikhand
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp corn starch

For Orange Glaze

1/2 tsp agar-agar powder
1/4 cup orange juice, fresh or canned
1 tbsp sugar or more, depending on your taste
1 tsp orange rind
Flesh from 1 orange


DIRECTION

For the crust: Mix the finely crushed biscuits, sugar and butter and press the mixture evenly into a 6" diameter loose bottom tin or a spring-form pan. Chill in a freezer.

For the filling: Blend the paneer till it's liquid and pour-able. Add the hung yogurt and sugar to blend with paneer further. Ensure it's blended well uniformly. Whip in the medium fat cream and add it to the above mixture along with corn starch and vanilla. Whiz once more.

To assemble: Pour the filling over the set crust. Bake in a hot oven at 200 degree c (400 degree f) for 15-20 minutes or till the sides are set and the center is still a little jiggly. Remove and allow to cool in th refrigerator.

To prepare the glaze: Dissolve the agar in cold water and bring it to boil. Add in the orange juice, rind, sugar and orange flesh. Bring to a boil and pour on prepared cheesecake. Allow to set. Decorate with orange rind if desired.

The key to a good cheesecake is to allow it to set overnight or at least for 6 hours in refrigerator. That's when the flavors develop and mingle well, also letting the cake set firmly. The cheesecake was fabulous and made up for not just the New year, but my birthday too. On the flip side, I found the crust uneven and thicker on edges and I need to work on getting them right. I also felt the filling could have increased in quantity for the crust made, which would in turn give the cake the desired height, making it more presentable. But nevertheless the cheesecake had all the flavors right. The orange flavors burst out with every bite. The orange rind is extremely refreshing and adds that zing factor to this cheesecake, so I suggest you do not miss on that. They not only add flavor, but the glamuor element to the cake. Cottage cheese cannot be tasted and blends well with the cream, thus making this cake soft, moist, cheesy, citric and rich. A totally decadent treat.


25 comments:

  1. cheese cake looks super creamy and dleicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious that I want to grab a piece right away....:) Happy birthday MD, hope you enjoy ur day, have a blessed day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cake!!!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheese cake luks fabulous..Luv the orange glaze and creamy cheese cake...Happy new year 2012

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday MD...the cheesecake is gorgeous and the flavours are really divine..have a fabulous day and a wonderful year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cant stop drooling:-) Simple irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday..love the flavors,tempting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful combination of flavors there...delicious

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats a gorgeous cheescake.

    Wishing you a very happy and successful 2012 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My birthday was the 2nd and my best friend forgot it so I can relate! Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking cheesecake,love especially that orange glaze..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Luckily had a piece of this cake! It was truly amazing. Thanks MD. May you have many more birthdays and may I get many such cakes :) - Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's such a pretty way to make a cheesecake. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cheesecake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweets-for-saturday-51.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, looks so so pretty! love that orange peel border. great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,
    I am a long time reader of your blog, but never commented earlier. You have a great blog, with nice recipes and wonderful photos!

    I have a question related to this recipe. If I use hung curd for the cake will it not turn sour after a day? Does using shrikand prevent the cake from turning sour? I guess amul shrikand is available in specific flavors and just plain shrikand is not available... but maybe I am wrong. Let me know what will be the shelf life of the cake if I use hung curd.

    Thanks.
    -Priya

    ReplyDelete
  16. did u buy agar powder in Bangalore?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Priya,

    Your question is a valid one and here's my take on it. This cheesecake will stay well for a day since it stays refrigerated most of the time, unless being eaten. Beyond that I don't recommend for the simple fact that the biscuit base tends to absorb moisture and gets soggy. That apart, I've not had a problem with the hung curd getting sour. Saying that, this cheesecake is mildly tart due to hung curd being used even otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Regarding your query on Amul Srikhand, I agree Amul Srikhand comes in flavors and trust me it doesn't really affect the taste of cheesecake much. I generally use the elaichi flavor available easily. Srikhand makes my job totally easy and I can easily bet on it since it has hardly any water content. Use Badam Pista or Kesar Pista, it will only make your cheesecake richer!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Madhura,

    Yeah, I did buy Agar powder in Bangalore. I bought it from one of the supermarkets in Varthur near Whitefield. You should be able to get them in Foodworld or Nilgiris too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. made the orange glaze for another cheese cake recipe ..the glace is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, does the cream need to be whipped or to blended in directly in the paneer mixture ? Thanks a lot !!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Swetha, I whip the cream to a soft stage so that it's airy and then blend it into the paneer mixture till combined. This makes the cheesecake lighter that way. Hope it helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. @MD thanks a lot ! keen on this recipe to try out soon : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. yummy cheese cake and what a lovely presentation....fell in love with ur blog...specially breads, biscottis and cakes in ur blog....:)

    ReplyDelete