Stracciatella Ice cream

, , 20 comments


Aah! Finally the weekend is here and it feels so so good, that I can't possibly express the immense joy I get on the dawn of Fridays. It's the day of the week I look forward to the most; it gives me joy, hope, lightens my heart and heightens my spirits. And even as the day comes to an end on a Thursday, I can feel the excitement and dip in pressure with the weekend drawing closer. The worst of work load on a Friday doesn't stir me, fortified with an ability to deliver my best, probably the positivity and the hope that Saturdays and Sundays will give that well deserved respite and the time I deserve for my family. Wish God blessed us with few more Fridays a week. Life would have gotten only better!


Undoubtedly, my job is an integral part of my life and I love it every bit. I've never been a person who could stay home, probably the feeling of being insecure to be cut off from the happenings in the world outside would haunt me severely. Being confined to the four walls is not just me. My job helps me pursue my professional aspirations and improve business acumen, just as I had dreamt of where and what I should be while in my college.

Yet on the flip side, I compromise high on my family time. That realization hit hard only after my baby was born. Till then, job and career meant beyond all. And like every mother it would be a treat to watch my little baby grow every minute, evolve to the persona she will embellish into, I find solace in the fact that I have my mom by my side, donning my shoes, playing my role in my absence, ensuring my little one is not deprived of any need or personal care.



And that speaks why I look forward to the weekends, only to be with my family and do everything for them that I don't can't do over the week.

If Eva Toneva's simple eggless vanilla ice cream with 2 ingredients couldn't help me resist my temptations to make some at home, David Lebovitz's recipe for Stracciatella ice cream sold me completely to it. Having made the classic version couple of times I wanted to be a little experimental with this. And so gladly I admit I did, you can't just help yourself stay away from spoonfuls of this simple vanilla decadence with Italian-style chocolate chips even as it sits freezing. A litre of ice cream was easily half the volume by the time it was done.


Stracciatella Ice cream

INGREDIENTS

400 ml of sweetened condensed milk
500 ml cream (25% fat Amul cream used)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
60 gm. dark chocolate

DIRECTIONS

Pour the cream into a bowl. Whip it to soft peaks. Add in the condensed milk along with vanilla extract. Beat mixture using a hand mixer. Pour into a freezer proof container. Cover with plastic film and freeze in freezer.

Transfer it from the freezer to fridge at least 20 minutes before serving. This basic vanilla ice cram can be served as it or with toppings if desired.


For Stracciatella:

The vanilla ice cream can be enjoyed as is, however to make it decadent and exotic go ahead to make Stracciatella. Melt the dark chocolate in microwave on high for a minute. Alternatively, use a double boiler technique to melt the chocolate. Transfer the melted chocolate to a paper piping bag. Snip off the tip for the chocolate to flow. Drizzle the chocolate randomly over the almost-frozen mixture, then stir, breaking up the ribbons of chocolate as they freeze, to create little ‘chips’. Scoop out and serve!

PS: The original recipe calls for equal quantities of cream and condensed milk. I have made this ice cream couple of times, however I like to add in 50-100 ml. of extra cream as I found it too sweet for our tastes. I suggest you taste and adjust sweetness accordingly.

20 comments:

  1. Looks so decadent and beautiful... Yummy ice cream

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy ! definately worth a try..I want yours :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow looks so delicious...yummmy! Beautiful clicks too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! Great icecream and equally great photography.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish i live near u,mindblowing pics and droolworthy icecream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a simple n delicious one,confused with the name though

    ReplyDelete
  7. David Lebovitz sure has me drooling all over his book, The Perfect Scoop. Am now severely tempted to buy an ice cream maker!

    This is very simple and delish, loved that stracciatella!Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would agree with Prathibha, I came here to find out what stracciatella is..I must confess, I'm bowled over by the pics and I'm so happy that you are doing such a good balancing act b/w work and family.

    JOIN ME THIS MONTH IN- JUNE EVENT- ‘ONLY’ MANGO & COOKBOOK GIVEAWAY

    FOODELICIOUS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks absolutely yummyly delicious.I love how you have photographed them all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prathibha, Stracciatella is an Italian derivation from the word Stracciato, which means "torn apart" as from Wiki. The base is an eggless vanilla ice cream, while the little chips of chocolate you see were drizzled over cold ice cream, hence the name.

    @Pari, yeah balancing job has drained all my energy for sure! Stracciatella is a simple ice cream with a complex name! Do hope now that Stracciatella doesn't confuse you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful ice cream. Loved the recipe and the photographs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow,very delicious n mouthwatering ice cream!!
    Happily following your space:-)
    Hope u'll drop back & join my space too:-)

    Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
    1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

    2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow wow wow!! Absolutely beautiful looking icecream...Book marking to make for father's day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is so amazing. looks very beautiful.. you have nice recipe collections

    ReplyDelete
  15. As they say don't go by face /names this fits the bill such a complex name for such a simple ice-cream. this looks extremely tempting MD :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. that sounds super-duper simple, but have you been succesful whipping amul cream to soft peaks? I recently tried whipping it for mango ice cream, even after 10mins of whipping there was no sign of peaks forming. Could you pls pls pls share your secret in doing this?

    ReplyDelete
  17. So easy :) I love ice cream and making it from scratch. I like knowing what is in it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Shri, Amul cream should be extremely chill if you intend to whip it. It doesn't whip up stiff, but you can get reasonable soft peaks from it. Remove any water/whey floating on the top of the cream. This really helps.

    ReplyDelete