Cranberry Dark Chocolate Brownies

, , 25 comments


2nd February 2013: It was quite a relaxed Sunday. I plonked myself on my deep brown and black shaded sofa, threw my legs up on the aged teak coffee table that adorns my living and sat there gazing at a bunch of my favourite magazine collection from BBC GoodFood. The past one year has seen me as an ardent lover of their series and my subscription was due for closure. In the morning the courier guy had just hand delivered my last copy and I kept pondering if I should renew them or stick on to the 12 magazines I had at hand. They lay there in absolute desire to be flipped over again and again and as I made myself comfortable with a cup of coffee, I couldn't hold my fondness for them any longer and I flipped them all over again. I was lost and in love again.


And like it often happens, as I read through them, admire the photographs and get critical, flipping recipes over, I do not realize how I have lost on time. Admit, I spend a lot of my time, often quite futile over these cookbooks. Because it happens frequently that I take more than hours to pin down a recipe that I actually wish to recreate in my kitchen. Again I'm lost. I simply don’t feel guilty either.

So this Sunday wasn't any different. I dreamt of making a savoury, flipped over a couple of recipes and couple of magazines too. Pulao was done, the vegetable stew busy brewing up on the stove, so cooking was almost over. How about a salad I think. I flip over pages. I scan my pantry for those cheeses and herbs. I realize soon I need to stock them. I hunt for desserts instead to make my Sunday worthy. I flip over to the last page and there the beautiful raspberry brownies hold my utmost attention. I know what I have been looking for. Finally! I rush to my kitchen, pull my kitchen scales out, do a quick melt of butter in the microwave and stir all things good to bake these dark beauties.


So these brownies were made, ditto the way the magazine said, measuring out ingredients carefully by their weight, replacing the raspberries for some dried cranberries. I suggest you make them and you’ll know yourself how good they are. They are deep, fudgy and chocolatey with beautiful fruity bites from cranberries. A bit of cheating in your diet is all okay. So forget your fears, pick up a slice and devour them happily to your hearts content.


Cranberry Dark Chocolate Brownies

Inspired by Best-ever Chocolate & Raspberry Brownies from BBC GoodFood magazine

150 gm dark chocolate broken into chunks
125 gm salted butter
200 gm soft brown sugar
2 large eggs
70 gm plain flour
25 gm cocoa powder
100 gm cranberries (I’ve used Ocean Spray here)

Heat the oven to 180 deg C. Line a baking dish with baking paper. Put the chocolate, sugar and butter in a pan and gently melt, stirring well with a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat.

Stir in the eggs one by one, into the chocolate mixture. Sieve the flour and the cocoa and stir in. add in half the cranberries and scape the batter into the tray. Then scatter the remaining cranberries over the top of the batter. Bake for 30 minutes or 5 more minutes if you prefer a firmer texture. Cool before slicing and store in air tight containers for up to 3 days.

25 comments:

  1. I love my copies of the same Mag !! I tried one chicken and one baking recipe from old issues and they were bang on target ...shouldn't have come here as you have taken some killing shot of these beautiful brownies...mmmm I am hungry

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved reading this post :) awesome lookin browines

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some plump craisins sitting in the fridge i think it s time to bring them out and what s there about BBC good food that one cant relish!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally loving them... Brownies look so irresistible. I love BBC Goodfood too... Love flipping thro the pages just drooling over the pages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you write. Very realistic and present. It feels like I am in your shoes and living you. I love reading cookbooks or just flipping over pages and drooling over recipes I dream to make. Your brownies look quite tempting and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. just finished my dinner and those gooey brownies r haunting me...Thank god I had some dessert in my fridge to satisfy my cravings...Looks perfect and nice clicks too

    ReplyDelete
  7. The joys of reading a good food magazine lazily is bliss! I can imagine how these would taste, I LOVED the chocolate and dried cranberries in my fruit cake, this recipe must be tried :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mallika.. you are a great cook and photographer... Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my...such ooey gooey chocolate brownies....and did u finish them all by urself!! I'm seriously jealous :-)

    They look simply delish!!

    Regards,
    Manju
    http://manjuseatingdelights.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lusicious and irresistible brownies, who can resist to this beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post! These look unpassable! I don't usually like fruit with chocolate but I can't help but think these would be a little different! Can't wait to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those brownies look spectacular.
    So good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love love love the 3rd pic. Its 7AM here & I want to eat these :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing dear.... Lovely pics tooo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooey gooey deliciousness! I love the added tartness from cranberries against dark chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love love love brownies and these look perfectly sinful for my bite. I love your posts and photographs. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cranberries in the brownie looks like jewels! So pretty and I bet it is delicious too! The chocolate bowl shot looks gorgeous. It even excites me to try baking this right away!

    ReplyDelete
  18. the brownies are looking tempting. if they were eggless, i would loved to dig a spoon in. lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG, those brownies are wicked! What a fabulous texture.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  20. We made these and loved them a lot. Got amazing raves for this fabulous dessert. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have this recipe in my to do list for long time... and yours is delicious and amazing clicks its dam good, happy following you...when free drop into my space and will encouraging if you follow back.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. I think I have fallen in love with these brownies. They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete