Pan Roasted Fiery Balsamic Carrots

, , 15 comments


I studied much in an all girls’ high school, so I don’t remember knowing Valentine’s day then. There was no excitement but life as usual like any other day. College life although had a different story to say. Valentine day was about the excitement to dress smart, an anxiety to get sneaky looks from boys, may be a couple of roses, candies and teddies too. Red was a too bold colour to wear, so it stayed away for the day. All were dressed their best for the day, yet they made it look modest, atleast not to be dragged into peppy conversations by friends. There were hopes for those red roses, seeking male attention, for chits of proposals that came through those less known common friends, an ice-breaker conversation, probably a plea to join for a coffee in a coffee shop, and like I said it was an odd anxiety and hushed excitement. Those were the days in college.

Later, life at workplace was a much serious affair. There was a spirit to celebrate the love day, but in a festive way. The fun committee organized entertaining events to promote healthy relationship among peers. There were red roses on every bay, floating balloon hearts across cubicles and team building activities to build rapport. We were encouraged to dress in red, but essentially it did not really mean about love or being in love. It was about anyone whom you cared for and could be your Valentine. I loved that spirit. I respected it and enjoyed it through.


My husband and I hardly got time to celebrate the Valentine’s day ever. We never went out for candle lit dinners, throw parties or the big bashes. We dream about it, but then we are working couples with little time at hand. We exchange no gifts, just hugs and kisses. Instead we sit down and enjoy a home cooked meal together. He cares for me, so he lets me to dig into my favourite dessert for the dinner just that evening, and we relish it together. Over the years, my meaning for love and lust has changed by leaps. Today, it’s about trust and support, of care and affection, of expressing less by words and more in actions, of being faithful and sympathetic. My considerations have changed, because it’s about being selfless and sensitive. It’s a beautiful feeling, and is meaningful by nature. Love is magical. The greatest joy comes from our little daughter, who is a gift of God given to us by the virtue of that bonding and togetherness. She brings life into us, she paints it vivid, makes it worthy to live, and she ties our bonds for a lifetime. Life is short, I like to live it sweet. So why waste even a day that’s dedicated for a purpose?


My menu is sketched. I’ll have some Ginger Lime Pops for my daughter to bite into, that will keep her busy. These Pan Roasted Fiery Balsamic Carrots will make it quick and perfect for the weekday dinner table. And I’ll serve them with some fresh spaghettis and some homemade pesto. I am still dreaming of what dessert I can make. But certainly I would love to pair it with a dollop of Classic Vanilla Ice cream. I think this will make it perfect.

Lay your table, set your glasses, pour the wine, don your apron and get set to whirl up your kitchen this Valentine day. Have a fabulous day with your loved ones and don’t forget to express that you care for them.


Pan Roasted Fiery Balsamic Carrots

INGREDIENTS

3 Carrots, medium sized
1 tsp. Olive oil
2-3 cloves Garlic chopped
2 tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
1 tsp. Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Red chilli flakes
Salt to taste

DIRECTIONS

Wash the carrots thoroughly and chop them to ½ inch fingers. Blanch them in boiling hot water for 2 minutes. Remove them and shock them in cold water.

Heat oil in a pan and sauté the chopped garlic till they sweat. Next add in the balsamic vinegar and sauté till it reduces to half. Add the blanched carrots, followed by the brown sugar and red chilli flakes. Stir fry for a couple of minutes on medium high flame till the balsamic sauce glazes all the carrots well. I like to smoke the carrots a bit by tilting the pan close to the fire and letting them burn tad bit. They almost taste like grilled. Finally season with salt and herbs, if preferred.

15 comments:

  1. LOVE Balsamic and it can make every thing so yum, be it sweet or savory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah MD i m not so Valentiney too..... but i love the spirits that it brings along :) and beautiful pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah beautiful shots and the dish looks so tempting

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks beautiful....such stunning shots and nice recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks nice. I think I will attempt this very soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely stunning clicks and a lovely recipe for Valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am little skeptical about using balsamic...as I still have doubt whether it is halal or not...what's the brand u used in M.? As i heard Trader's Joe is the halal one...recipe sounds yum....nice pics...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a fantastic recipe Mallika. Love balsamic, it must have given that lovely flavor

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your write up Mallika :) So perfectly worded and I could relate to every phase in life you have sketched out (except the kiddo stage, am not there yet :) ) Loved the simple recipe. Am sure you would have a lovely Valentines day at home with the ppl u love the most :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lubna, Balsamic is not halal since it has some amount of alcohol content in it. I use Colvita Balsamic Vinegar, but I am not sure if this contains alcohol or not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for dropping by...you have a lovely space, the recipes look yum and the pictures beautiful! Bookmarking the blog to come and check it again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carrots look nice & glazed and love the flavor of balsamic in it..Bookmarking this recipe to try soon..And I am sure it was a memorable V day for that is such a nice & romantic menu!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely love balsamic in roasted veggies!!

    ReplyDelete