Rava Idli with Vegetable Sagu

, , 16 comments

Rava Idli with Vegetable Sagu

How to make Rava Idli with Vegetable Sagu | Vegetable Sagu Recipe
Traversing through my old posts recently, which in a way I don’t do too often, strangely it felt odd for me to read of what I had written. Some made me laugh, some made me travel down the memory lane, some errors I fixed, some I felt proud of, I suppose it’s an anomalous sensation to read your own stuff. Some photographs made me think I should change, like the Marshmallows and S’mores, especially the ones I shot at night. Then as I dug deeper to my old, unheeded posts of 2009s, I thought they needed a makeover. Maybe sometime in future, when I recreate the same recipe and shoot again, I shall update them here. Or probably I’ll leave them that way and they’ll remind me how much I have evolved over the years in blogging.

You know I should hold on to penning down too much. Over the past couple of weeks, my posts, the write ups, have been spanning too long. I promise it’s not intentional. I like to write, to put my thoughts in words and do hope you enjoy reading them as much I love sharing my thoughts on food and memories with you.

Rava Idli


Having said that, I promise to keep this one short and savoury. Basically a spiced, savoury, breakfast semolina cake. This Rava Idli, is a common Karnataka breakfast dish and most loved by all of us at home. It repeats itself almost every week. Not the kinds we get at a restaurant, that’s dense, heavy and feels stodgy with one slice, but instant, light and the kinds you want to indulge in more than just one. Pair it with chutney or serve this with vegetable sagu like it’s done traditionally, this one will send you taste buds whirring for more. Whoosh, you can’t help but love it!


Rava Idli

1 cup regular yogurt (not thick, Greek yogurt kinds)
1 cup semolina (sooji rava)
2 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1-2 green chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp. Channa dal
1 tbsp. broken cashew nuts
1 tsp. baking soda (or an unflavoured fruit salt, like Eno)
Salt to taste

Mix a cup of semolina in cup yogurt and set aside for 10 minutes. If using thick store-bought yogurt, then thin it down by adding water. I've used regular skimmed milk homemade yogurt here. While the batter is resting, prepare the tadka. Heat the oil in a small frying pan. Add in the mustard seeds, channa dal, cashew nuts, curry leaves and heat till the mustard seeds begin to splutter. Turn off the flame and add this to the semolina, yogurt mixture. Whisk well. Add chopped green chillies and salt to taste. Finally add in the baking soda (or a sachet of fruit salt, if using), give the entire batter a quick, good whisk. The batter should be thick, similar to idli or cake batter. Transfer the batter to an oiled cake tin. If you have idli moulds, its best to use them. However you don’t own idli moulds, use regular cake tin for this purpose.

Heat a steamer / rice cooker. Place these moulds in the steamer and cook for 15-20 mins. Alternatively you can microwave it on high power for 4-5 minutes, till skewer inserted comes out clean. Slice and serve hot with any chutney of your choice or with vegetable sagu as available commonly in restaurants.


Mixed Vegetable Sagu

Mixed vegetable sagu is a popular Karnataka dish, typically served in Bangalore restaurants. It’s spicy and goes well with puris, dosas, aappam, and even rice. For best results, ensure that the vegetables are cooked just right – they should neither be crunchy nor too mushy, just the right bite.

INGREDIENTS

For The Masala Paste

2 to 3 green chillies, roughly chopped
4-5 peppercorns
2 tsp. coriander powder
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2” stick cinnamon
2 cloves
3-4 garlic cloves (optional)
4 tbsp. freshly grated coconut
1 handful of cilantro

Other Ingredients

1 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. mustard seeds
A pinch of asafoetida
A sprig of curry leaves
1 large onions, finely chopped
2 cups chopped mixed vegetables (potato, carrots, beans, capsicum, cauliflower green peas)
Salt to taste

DIRECTIONS

To make the masala paste, grind all the ingredients mentioned under masala, adding little water to a thick, fine paste. Keep aside.

Next, heat oil in a wide mouthed frying pan and add the mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to splutter, add asafoetida and torn curry leaves, and sauté well on a medium flame. Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame, while stirring continuously till they turn translucent. Add the mixed vegetables, salt and 1¼ cups of water, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 12 to 15 minutes till the vegetables are tender, stirring in between. Add the prepared masala paste, mix gently and simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve hot with Rava Idli.

16 comments:

  1. A good rava idli shud retain the green color of coriander and urs look exactly like the way I like...yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yum. i usually make rava idli with coconut chutney. have to try the combo with veg sagu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy rava idli love this veg sagu option to
    http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even I feel that way when I go through my old posts... but then changing them can be so time consuming... rava idli! yum! but i've never tried to make it at home! i expected it to be difficult to make... this sounds nice n easy ... and perfect for those rushed mornings... i'm thinking of preparing the batter the previous night and adding the fruit salt int he morning just before steaming... do u think that will work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe...even i go and read my old posts sometimes and think how distatrous that pic looks which I had posted for what must have been yummy dish :)

    Even I love to keep writing...n then i edit and re-edit and one post takes me like 3-4hrs or even days to complete ...I like reading your posts! Feels true to the heart...

    I love Rava idli and your pics are awesome!

    Regards,
    Manju
    http://manjuseatingdelights.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can prepare the batter the previous night Sarah. Just that since we use yogurt here, the batter may turn too sour. I had read somehwere that traditionally, when fruit salt was not known, rava idlis were made by fermenting the batter overnight. This however is a quick version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot Manju, that was motivating indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning clicks and beautiful recipes. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just cant take my eyes from ur idli,prefect and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a new kind of combination to me, will try with that. Pics are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its sort of nice, to see how you've evolved.
    Anyway, your current photographs are gorgeous. And the rava idli sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Older posts and pictures do make you feel that way, but I guess I may not change that - its all about evolving as a blogger...

    Rawa idlis and vegetable saagu is jut my kind of weekend breakfast, filling, healthy and done in one shot! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very healthy n so tempting..done perfectly n nice cliks..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy made the Veg Sagu for lunch with rava Idli

    ReplyDelete