Kaju Katli | Kaju Burfi | Cashew Fudge

, , 7 comments

Kaju Katli

How to make Kaju Katli | Cashew Burfi | Cashew Fudge Recipe
Sometime in October last year, just ahead of Diwali, we bumped into my husband's close family friend at a mall one evening. After a brief chat, Mr. S and his wife headed to shop in the mall, while his mom and young daughter hung around us, continuing the talk. My mother and I spent nearly an hour chatting with aunty while the kids were engrossed playing in the ball pit. We spoke at length about the upcoming Diwali preparations, the new dress that aunty had sewn on occasion of Diwali for her grand-daughter, the small disparities in our cultures and the celebrations (they being Tamilans), sharing our favorite family recipes that made the festive celebrations more special.

One of the recipes that aunty shared with us that evening was the recipe for this Kaju Katli, a popular cashew based sweet that's a popular family favorite in many homes, especially in the North, where gifting boxes of sweets is customary to their traditions. Although we are past Diwali now, I don't think this requires any occasion for celebration. You can make them at home, at your convenience anytime and feel pleased with this indulgence. If you have a weakness for Kaju Katlis, then I am afraid you may not be able to resist eating just one.

Kaju Katli_1


Making these burfis at home may sound intimidating, but it isn't. This was the first time I attempted making them at home and they came out delicious. I started off nervously even as I measured the amounts suggested by aunty, but she had assured that the recipe would work even for the most novice, immature cook, and that assurance itself wanted me to try this recipe in the first place. The end result ofcourse was smooth, melt-in-mouth goodness of cashew fudges.

There are many ways to prepare this dessert. A common one being where the cashew nuts are soaked in water overnight and ground the next day, then cooked in single-strand sugar syrup till it comes together to form a dough. As an alternate, easier method, you can grind the cashews to a fine powder and mix with sugar syrup, cooking it on a low flame to form a soft dough. The dough is then spread and flattened on a plate and cut into thin diamonds. Commercially sold katlis have a layer to silver wark on them, however, for a home version you can skip them totally. This version of kaju katli is an easier where you do not have to worry about sugar syrup or its accurate consistency. Hence, time saving and easier which gives you the burfis of same quality as bought at a store.

Kaju Katli_2


Kaju Katli | Cashew Fudge

INGREDIENTS

2 cups cashewnuts, heaped
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp. ghee (approx. 3 tsp.)

DIRECTIONS

Grind the cashews to a fine powder in a mixie. I used the chutney jar as the whiz option on my mixie helps me control how fine I want the cashews to be powdered. Ensure that the cashews are not powdered to an extent that they begin to leave oils.

Heat the sugar and water in a thick bottomed pan and stir well till all of the sugar is dissolved in the water. Just as it comes to a rolling boil, add the cashew powder and stir well on a low flame.

The cashew mixture will soon come together and begin to thicken. Once it thickens enough to form a mass / sticky dough / lump, add a teaspoon of ghee. Remove the whole of the mixture from the pan.

Transfer the prepared mixture on to an upturned greased plate or a butter paper. I used a marble chakla. Allow it cool a little. When its cool enough to be handled, knead it gently to form a smooth dough. If the dough is too stiff and find it hard to knead, add another teaspoon of ghee. This is optional though.

Using a greased rolling pin, roll the dough gently and evenly till its about 4-5 mm thick in height. Allow to cool. When cooled completely, use a sharp knife to cut the cashew fudge into diamond shapes. Gently transfer the kaju katli to serving plate or store in an air tight container.

7 comments:

  1. looks delicious .. I love kaju katli but i am yet to try making it at home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deesha. Do try and let me know how you like it!

      Delete
  2. The ingredient list mentions 1 tbsp ghee but in the method you say 1 tsp, which should it be? Also, the ingredient list is missing the water, only says 1/2 cup :)

    The only Indian mithai my kids eat is kaju katli and this sounds simple. I think I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the math... I added 1 tsp. of ghee just before removing the mixture off the stove. Incase the dough is stiff to handle, then add another 1 tsp, which is optional. Another tsp. is required to grease the chakla or an upturned flat plate and belan. Approximately 3 tsp. equals to 1 tbsp., hence that mention on the ingredients list. I will update it for easier understanding. :) Have updated the missing text on water too. :)

      Try and let me know how it turns out to be. I hope your kids enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  3. Hello MD! first I would to say ythanks to you that you have shared one of my favourite burfi. I love kaju-kalti barfi. It is so delicious and divine in taste. I am sure everyone likes it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mikkel, we share same tastes. It's my favorite too. And who wouldn't love such a deliciousness! Yes, you pinned it right, it's divine!

      Delete
  4. Hi M D! I love kaju kalti barfi. I always eat kaju kalti barfi, when I go to any sweet shop. It looks so yummy and delicious. I am sure everyone likes it, when they will see this burfi on your website. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete