Gujje Palya (Raw Jackfruit Stir-fry)

, , 38 comments


Having grown up eating jackfruits as a teenager, it takes me down my memory lane when monsoon months from June to August often greeted us with delicacies of jackfruit, a fruit which people either love most or hate most. While I come in the range of former ones, I know few who can't stand it for it's unique taste.

It reminds me how often my dad would sit down on floor with a massive oiled knife to tear apart the pine skulled fruit, while mom peeled and stoned the fruit and my little sissy and me, as children would surround him to grab those fleshy ripe fruits off and relish them unendingly. And dad would do this task with immense love and passion. The huge jackfruit, often fetched from farms of my uncles and aunts was undoubtedly the most organic, fresh and the best ones we ever tasted.

The fruit is so versatile in use that it can be consumed either in raw form in cooking curries and savories or ripe in Indian sweets. Even the stony seeds are delicacies to the ones like me. Variety of dishes are made from the flesh of jackfruit, common ones like palya, huli, gashi, kadabu, dosa, idli, appam, papad, chips, etc. And even today, whenever I do get a chance, I love to hog on my amma's food. Well, I depend on her heavily for these traditional recipes.


It's a season of jackfruits and I can't get a better post than this one for this season. For the one who's not introduced to this fruit, jackfruit is a very tropical fruit commonly grown and consumed in the Western coastal belts of India.

Gujje Palya (Raw Jackfruit Stir-fry)

INGREDIENTS

1 cup raw jackfruit
3-4 whole red chilies
1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
Lemon sized tamarind
1 tsp mustard seeds

Tempering:

1 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig of curry leaves


DIRECTIONS

Wash and clean the jackfruit. Remove the external core skin. Pit the seeds and chop the flesh into small pieces. This can be a little tedious task if you are a first timer. My grandma is excellent at this and I have a lot to learn from her.

Pressure cook the chopped raw jackfruit pieces with salt and tamarind on 2 whistles. Meanwhile, prepare the spice paste.

Grind together fresh grated coconut, whole red chilies and a tsp of mustard seeds. The ground mustard seeds impart a tangy spice to the dish, which I love the most. Keep this ground paste aside.

Heat some oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds and a sprig of curry leaves. When they begin to splutter, add the cooked jackfruits and stir fry for a minute or two. Then add in the ground paste. Allow the liquid to evaporate a little and cook on slow flame for another 2-3 minutes. Turn off the flame and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot as a side dish with rice or rotis.


With my post on Date Walnut Muffins, I had promised that I would list 10 things that make me happy. Here it goes...

1. Cooking and Baking of course! (Can I dare ignore that???)
2. Every cozy moment spent with my husband :) (undoubtedly, it makes me happy!)
3. Being back to MY home after work and being warmly greeted by my hubby's smiling face (oh! what a stress buster!)
4. That each day has gone by on a positive note (yeah, it's important to me that my family and me are in their best of the days, health and happiness)
5. Good food (My 4th sense is has a strong leniency towards appealing good food. That's been more off late!)
6. Travelling to discover new places (that's an inheritance from my hubby dear!)
7. Blogging & Photography (a good blog and great food photography makes me feel real good!)
8. Watching Travel & Living and NDTV Good Times (I am hooked to it from past few years ;))
9. Walking to a book store, picking up a cookery or a painting book and just flipping through pages without any one disturbing! (Often wish, there's a couch to sneak into!)
10. Desserts (I know it's too far to position it the 10th, best for the last! I can't tell you how soothing a good dessert is to my senses!!! It indeed is! )

38 comments:

  1. We call it Chakko... nd I love it :) luks so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post and pictures- I too remember the ceremonious and time-consuming task of hacking a jackfruit apart. This dish looks irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very aromatic stir-fry! I haven't had it for ages...kinda miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, Wow I love jack fruit.. and the 10 things abt u are wonderful and mostly it reflects me too mallika.. good job and nice to know abt u dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I luv jackfruit and its seed too.....Nice to knw abt the 10 things that make u happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Authentic dish with lovely picture..Good to know more about you..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried jackfruit but after reading your post, I now feel the urge to hunt down some and try it; it is so neat that it can be used sweet or savory! and the seeds too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mallika.. nice to read your stories about home and family! :) Agree with every one of your 10 stress busters! Same kinds of things work for me too! And hey.. dessert fans unite! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dish is very original! I love jackfruit, but I have never eaten it in that way...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is really delicious one.everywhere its same..mom used peel the fruit and we used to grab some from there.always we have some thing to share while preparing these dishes..Really nice picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by. You have nice collection of veg recipes here. I love gujje, this one looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mallika,

    Jackfruit cost a ton here. Amma makes curries with raw jackfruit. Yours looks perfect. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow.....i love the first pic...looks so pretty....love the recipe as well...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never had this but honestly it looks scrumptious and I am sure I would love it, wish I could get raw jackfruits here never really saw anywhere. I love NDTV goodtimes too, its a fantastic channel :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Raw jackfruit stir fry looks yummy, by reading the things you like i can understand that you are really a cheerful person.

    ReplyDelete
  16. even i love jackruit,mom used to prepare this quiet often and this look so very delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful dish and click..neva tried cook d dish before...but will try soon ...v temptin

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks delicious - great photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of my favorites, though loong since I had them !! Nice clicks too

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your photographs! Have never tasted raw jackfruit.. hmm.. next time when am in India :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this Jackfruit dish.Never had it with coconut.A favorite fruit,love it as a fruit as well as a savory dish.We have a Jackfruit tree in our backyard garden in India.My mom was telling me last week tha she shared many of the fruits to the neighbors.It's been a very long time I had eaten it.Miss these traditional dishes.
    Loved to know more of your favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  22. MD, we really need to get the adoption papers straight...even if it means confusing the hell outta the manager at the adoption center :P

    ReplyDelete
  23. looks wonderful... perfect pic... a nice combo with rice... you a wonderful blog with a variety of interesting recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Have tasted this curry just once and loved it!! Makes me drool now, just got to outsource the jack fruit cutting and cleaning part:-))

    Nice to know so many things about u, agree vehemently on the desserts!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. the same also happened at our house too...every season ma and baba would do the daunting task while we relished the fruits. love jackfruit in both forms and your dry dish looks delicious with some hot rice and dal. amazing click too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very true Mallika its a treat for us even now. Its so much fun to cut the whole jackfruit.
    recipe looks delicious and Awesome photography.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Delicious one with jackfruit.. Nice colourful pic too..

    ReplyDelete
  28. love jackfruit...its been an years having this heavenly delicious fruit...unfortunately we do not get to see this here...love the stir fry version of the fruit...simple, easy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, i ve seen in many places this curry but never had a chance to taste. This one is trully splendid picture!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yet to try my hands with raw jackfruit, truly catchy and awesome palya..

    ReplyDelete
  31. a very nostalgic post..Jackfruits have given me many a stomach aches :) Lovely presetation.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I love all of the delicious food you have here.

    I've never had jackfruit before but I have obviously been missing out! Now if I come across one, I will know what to make. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks really good and sounds like a very interesting way to use jackfruit. I've only ever had it once when in Australia. I thought it was delicious and proceeded to gorge on it. I ate too much and then felt sick - my own fault, but don't really fancy it any more!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love it. Used to cook with Raw JF in Bangalore, only get canned here. Great color MD.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this. My friend often does it and will bring it for lunch while I was working.

    ReplyDelete