Chocolate Chip Flapjacks

, , 21 comments


That's yet another addition to my ever-growing book collection. Earned points from my account and got a gift voucher from Crossword. That ended up in me buying another cookbook and this time it was exclusively Chocolate. I purchased this book named Chocolate: The Food and the Music, with recipes using chocolate as base ingredient. The hardbound book comes with CD which carries a collection of sweet melodies along with 100 odd tempting chocolate recipes. I guess it's probably aimed at making a romantic evening dessert for two. :)


I have been scanning through recipes from the book for long now and decided finally I should put it to use. DH got a new pack of oats and it's been lying to be used for our breakfast. He loves it, especially when he's had heavy dinner the previous night. I fuss over it. Agreed it's good to keep your tummy light, but I think it's a little too light, sort of like a patient's food :( I eat it, but by no means reserve any liking for it. May be I should put it this way... I don't like them in form of porridge, probably? What I do instead is to disguise it in food in form of oat flour. I pound some regular oats to fine powder and make instant oat dosa. They are good for disguise and one can't say oats have gone into it. I recently experimented with some oat flour muffins and they were yum!


A flapjack is a sweet tray-baked oat bar made from rolled oats, butter, brown sugar and golden syrup. This dish is found in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland, and is also found in Australasia, but known as a 'muesli bar'. In other countries including Canada, the United States, and South Africa, flapjack refers to a form of pancake, although flapjacks do exist as 'Hudson Bay Bars'. Source: Wikipedia Now call it Flapjacks, Granola Bars, Muesli Bars or Hudson Bay Bars, I love them all!

I am gripped by books that have catchy photographs, it's an eye-candy. This is one such book which has an amazing collection of tempting chocolate recipes which I would love to re-create. Chocolate Chip Flapjacks were made inspired from this book. I tweaked the recipe a little by reducing the amount of butter to 100gm and sugar to 30gm and increased honey by 3 tablespoons. Also threw in a good amount of dates which is sweet by nature too. Again, as I insist always, test-taste your food for sweetness before you push them into oven for baking. However, the recipe I've put down here is right from the book with no changes.


Chocolate Chip Flapjacks

Adapted from the book Chocolate: The Food and the Music

INGREDIENTS:

115gm butter
60gm caster sugar
1 tbsp honey or golden syrup
350gm rolled oats
85gm dark/plain chocolate chips
85gm sultanas
50gm pitted and chopped dates


DIRECTIONS

Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C. Lightly grease a 8" cake tin.

Place the butter, caster sugar and honey in a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring often, till the sugar has melted and mixture has combined well. Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the oats and mix in till they are well combined. Add the chocolate chips, the dates and sultanas and combine well. Turn into the prepared tin and press down well. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 mins. Cool slightly and mark squares on it. When almost cold, cut into squares and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.


Flapjacks are extremely easy to make. I suggest instead of the stove-top method, you can even microwave the said ingredients, mixing them at regular intervals, till the sugar has melted. Just toss in rest of the ingredients and bake them. I assume this would be simpler and may be I should give it a try next time. You can add dry fruits, nuts as per your tastes. These are great as snack bars for kids or tea time treats. Also good for travels and as picnic accompaniments.

21 comments:

  1. They look very nice and perfect..other than the butter part it has all the goodness in it n is very healthy too...:)excellent clicks MD..

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very tempting clicks... Perfectly done goodie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible presentation..I don't think flapjacks can be presented any better than this:-) Looks soo yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious bars :) love all the ingredients that have gone into it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luv the presentation nd the flapjacks too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful clicks...flapjacks sounds delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so beautiful n delectable ~ love the bright ,crisp pics :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  8. The clicks have come out beautiful. The flap jacks are a yumm too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful presentation,looks irresistible..

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bars looks absoltely yummy.. wonderful healthy snack and love the recipe to MD.. The pictures can make any one drool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely clicks and loved the chocolate flap jacks too....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous flapjacks!!! And thx a ton for the chocolate biscuit pudding..Made it for my friends & family today & was a mega hit!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that a amazing recipe,lovely presentation...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is this the granola bars or is this diff? I havent heard abt flapjacks but looks absolutely delicious as I luv granola bars :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Waow, your flapjacks look delicious and the pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely photographs as every one else said! and this is one awesome flapjack.. if you will allow me, I will pick that bundle and leave.. all for myself. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love your photographs...the chocalate flapjack looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it ..........soooooooo much .. ur pict makes anyone droool.. awesome MD.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all ur recipies and ur photography is superb......love to scroll thru all ur posts...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very lovely..;looks so perfect,,as like we buy from shops.....hat's of to u..good job..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi,
    can we use cooking oats as i cannot find rolled oats.
    Regards, Deep

    ReplyDelete