Honey Ice-cream

, , 25 comments


My mom celebrated her birthday last month and I had every reason to bake a cake, especially when it's for her. I made plans, that too elaborate and I was determined it had to work well, secretly. Wanted to bake an Eggless Blueberry Gateau and chalked out timetable such that things would fall in place.

It wasn't probably the best day for me. Somethings just don't work right, that too when you are super excited to the pinnacle about it. Two days in advance to the D-day, I took time off in the evening to bake the cake. I chased my husband to buy some fresh cream and he was out on the hunt for what would sound a meaningless, clueless ingredient to him. Meanwhile, I baked an eggless sponge using the recipe for condensed milk. My baby sat in the pram silently looking at me as I shoved the cake to oven, let it bake there and skipped around setting up things for the frosting. The cake baked to perfection and it rose beautifully. I flattened the tops, sliced the center, moistened them with the syrup and let them sit on the stand to work artistically later. Things seemed positive till then.


I put myself back to relaxed mode, turned on the music, sipping tea and waiting patiently for my husband to be back with my dedicated ingredient. Clock ticked away and three hours later, he was back. I eagerly looked into the bag, hoping a liter pack would pop out. 'No fresh cream anywhere in town' he announced! The impulsive me almost blurted out the cry. "Yeah! I hunted the entire town. It's nowhere. There's a vendor issue they say." he confronted. I was broken. To him, it was more simpler to order an eggless cake from our dedicated Chef Bakers outlet. He comforted wondering why I should go through all this trouble of making a cake when we get the same fancy stuff outside. It may have sounded the simplest solution to anyone then :) The cake I baked was pretty massive. I had sliced it across, moistened it well, even spread the blueberry compote. I felt a sudden gush through my spine as my plans went topsy-turvy. I felt totally at loss.

The recipe I bring today is nowhere related to the cake I wished to prepare. But it's surprising how things do not work at times despite planning. A well prepared me had least thought that it was just not my day that evening, while this honey ice cream made out of no fore thought turned out to be one of the best flavors, something I least expected considering I was making it only to wipe off the last few spoons from the bottle!


Honey Ice-cream

INGREDIENTS

5 tbsp honey
200 ml low fat milk cream
100 ml milk
1 tbsp cornflour

DIRECTIONS

Prepare a thick custard by heating a mixture of 100 ml milk and a tablespoon of cornflour. Heat it till the mix thickens and coats well on the back of a spoon. Refrigerate till needed.

Whip cold cream along with honey and the prepared custard till it's all well combined. Taste your ice-cream at this stage. Add more honey if preferred. Transfer to a freezer proof bowl and freeze it for an hour till it just begins to set. Once it's almost set on the edges, remove and churn it briefly. Repeat a couple of times. This helps ice-cream to be creamy. After the final churn, freeze till it's completely set.


The ice-cream is simple to make and uses everyday ingredients available in every home. You can skip the cream and make a gelato too. My husband is not a honey lover, but the moment he tasted a spoon of this ice-cream, all he said was "Wow!". And it's the flavor from honey that makes it rich and delicious. Top it with nuts and they will only make it more decadent. Roasted almonds make the best pair for these and that reminds me of my favorite Baskin Robin's Honey and Roasted Almond ice-cream. Probably my next project, yeah?

25 comments:

  1. You make icecreams at a breeze...whenever I see perfect icecream scoops I regret for not having my icecream scooper. My search have not yet ended....I saw a semi scooper kind of thing but wanted a proper one like urs.

    Beautiful and yummy looking icecream and luved the mild flavour of honey...luv it to the core. Guess have to visit ur place just for this icecreams sake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I totally relate to it...I totally understand how hard it is when plans fail..anyways, Belated bday wishes to ur mother!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaahh,...i hav been there, making big plans, going well half way but in end nothing turns up as planned:-(
    However the ice cream looks soo creamy and such a lovely texture!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh..I can relate this to one of my situation...but anyways when it happens it happens...however, the honey ice cream looks perfectly scooped and creamy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i can imagine the situation.Dellicious icecream and wonderful texture

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful texture,tempting me a lot

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this looks so tempting n yum .....drooling over these yummy pics

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious icecream with a simple recipe :) demands a try soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luscious ice cream ~ the texture you got is perfect!
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  10. this kind of things keep on happening ...I wasnt able to celebrate my son's rice ceremony or 2nd b'day though I had big plans and almost all arrangements were done.

    the ice crem looks great. I have a similar scooper too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woww delicious and tempting icecreams...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Supply of Amul fresh cream is becoming more and more irregular, I made my ganache with whipping cream as I could not get Amul..

    The ice cream sounds simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful clicks dear..tempting icecream...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't imagine a whole town being out of cream! But this ice cream would wipe away all my tears! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The ice cream looks just perfect amazing and yummy...Its always bad whenever our plans fail. Anyways belated Bday wishs to your amma

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow wow they r delicious,i cann't take my eyes from the clicks...too gud.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We face very similar situations in life where we try to sketch everything perfectly, still some times things just don't seem to work right. Saying that, your honey ice-cream sounds simple, yet decadent. Beautifully shot as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Certain things are are just meant to happen the way we want...
    I'm drooling over these gorgeous clicks... BTW I too have same red color ice-cream scooper :-)

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  19. wowwwwwwww!!! this is simply perfect!!.. i simply love the way u have presented it :)..

    happy to follow u :) do drop in at my small world of cooking blog and i would love to have u in my friend list too :) looking forward in seeing u there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look soo perfect like a pro . I am not an ice cream .. but it's super warm today and a bowl of that would surely cool me down.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i can have honey in almost anything and everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ice cream looks so so yummy....i feel like grabing it right now..good click too..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the recipe. I made this and tastes real nice. This is the first time I used a custard based recipe.

    5 tbsp of honey proved too much for me though. I almost had to double the rest of the ingredients. May be my spoon was too big :D

    ReplyDelete