Blueberry Banana Tea Cakes

, , 16 comments


I have never come to dislike anything as much as I did with blueberries off late. I think it was a thing of overdose. A good tin of canned blueberries were miserably used in every possible dessert to an extent that even the name of it would want me to shun it some time now. True that I had over worked with them, having used them in cakes, ice-creams, fro-yo, milkshakes. And if I had to say, even our breakfast with morning cereals were not spared.


Blueberries cost a bomb here and are not easily available in fresh. Before the tinned one was close to it's expiry I thought I should put them to best use. On the other hand, I could see my husband had too much of that flavor. He begged me not to use that last bit from that can, humbly requesting to discard even if it costed a lot. Had it not been for him, we would have probably ended up with some homemade blueberry jam for our breakfast.... very soon! He holds me culprit for this dislike.


Then, there was a time when Blueberry Muffins were my favorite take-aways from coffee shops and malls only because they were a rarity of kinds, but these days they no longer get a second glance from me, forget their purchase.


This cake is a twist in a tale. My husband isn't much of a sweet tooth. And if there's something he will ask for, then it has to be either a sinful chocolate cake or that rustic banana bread, both of which I can see him binge.

So when he refrained me from going on another blueberry spree, my only rescue was to pair it with bananas. He had been insisting on a banana bread for a long time and I decided he should be in a surprise this time :). Pleasant or not? It was for him to decide :D.


Blueberry Banana Tea Cakes

INGREDIENTS

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar (increase if you prefer this cake sweeter)
2 ripe bananas (I chose yelakki bananas)
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
A tsp of vanilla extract
Handful fresh/frozen blueberries

DIRECTIONS

Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C. Sieve together all purpose flour, wheat flour, baking powder and baking soda. Keep aside. Using a mixie, blend together the bananas with milk, sugar and vanilla extract. To this add melted butter. Finally toss the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Transfer the batter into a well greased cake tin or glass cake pan. Dot the top of the cake with fresh or frozen blueberries. I used tinned frozen blueberries here. Bake for 35-40 mins or till done. Test using a skewer or toothpick.


I generally use sweet Yelakki bananas in my cakes. That's the kind of banana we like for our regular helpings too. I am not particularly fond of Cavendish or the long bananas we get in markets. I balanced between the wheat flour and all purpose flour that gave my cake a nice nutty taste, yet did not steal away the flavors from it. The cake had a lovely texture with speckles from banana veins all over making it truly rustic.

I felt like a kid that day. Before I let the cake cool down, I enthusiastically cut my tea cakes in all sizes and shapes. I first cut them to triangles, then thought I needed them in squares, a few were cut into rectangles and few diamonds too ;) You can see I was a little too impatient for the cake to cool down. Surprisingly, blueberries and bananas made a great combo. Whatever shape it was cut into, it tasted great. They were absolute tea time treats.

16 comments:

  1. ur blueberry tin reminds of a tin in my pantry,I am also saving it to use for a special occasion..I hope I will use it before it expires...:) lovely cake...looks delicious n perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow awesome combination..looks so soft and yumm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, its looking great!! I can't resist myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tooo tempting and perfect dear...lovely .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect way to use up the blue berries . the cake looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow wat a fabulous and gorgeous looking cake,super inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's a great combo and the cake looks awesome..where did u manage to get blueberry whenevr i come across all these fruits and veggies i just drool over these coz i cant find these in any of the super/hypermarkets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mallika..Fab looking cake!! How much melted butter did you use? The ingredients list doesn't mention it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Texture looks perfect! Please do update the recipe with the amount of butter. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks fabulous. The texture is just perfect!! I wud love to grab a slice!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superb! The tea cake looks gorgeous. The texture has turned out great. We get fresh blueberries here but they are soooooooo expensive...got to look out for tinned ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowwwww.... Awesome recipe dear.. looks so delicious and tempting.. lovely pics too.. :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If only I could grab a piece now. I am drinking tea and reading this post ! Nice flavor combo used.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty! Love banana bread too :) I usually fall back on my no butter no egg recipe because its so easy and yum, but must try a butter version to compare soon :) Am sure blueberries made a great combo!

    ReplyDelete