Mango & Vanilla Verrines

, , 33 comments


Been long since the seasonal mangoes made their appearances on most of the vegetable counters in supermarkets and road side cart sales. Mango season hasn't ended yet and you guys still wondering why I don't have a single post with mangoes yet? I am trying hard to catch up with some mango desserts. Now does this make you ponder what on the earth is so hard about whipping a mango dessert? Not at all!

Mangoes have been showing up on almost every meal of ours, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner. Whatever the meal be, it's incomplete without the mangoes to end with. I am hardly in a mood for any dessert these days and all I am in love with are these delightfully juicy, ripe, sweet mangoes. The crave is so bad that they are not just our post meal desserts, but also hunger pang killers. Back home from work or from an outing, I seek immense pleasure from freshly cut mangoes. And it's Alphonso and Bainganpalli types that make up to my favorite mango treats!

Just the sight of the gleaming amber mangoes can make me go down my knees for some humble bite into them! So now that I have explained the absence of mangoes from my blog, I did promise myself some mango verrines reserved for this space, which would use mangoes in their true form. Absolutely no decking up, no adulterations! Just a little manipulation! ;)


Mango & Vanilla Verrines

INGREDIENTS

1 cup milk
1/2 cup milk cream (I used 25% fat)
1 tbsp corn starch (an egg yolk can be used too)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup thick undiluted mango pulp

DIRECTIONS

Mix the corn starch or egg yolk in 1/4 portion of milk. Heat the rest 3/4th of milk to a boil with sugar. Add in the corn starch milk in slow streams and stir well continuously. In case of using egg yolks, temper the egg yolk with the boiled milk prior to avoid any curdling. Once tempered, add it to the hot milk and thicken further. This will thicken up soon. Stir well and scrape the sides too. As it bubbles and thickens well, add the cream and turn off the gas. Add in the vanilla. It will lighten the entire mixture, but should still be thick. If it's runny, heat it further to thicken up a little. Remember it thickens further as it cools down too. Let the custard cool to room temperature. You may also use a store bought custard powder and prepare it as per the directions on the pack. Once cool mix in a tsp of mango pulp to this. It's purely optional, so leave it out if you like the alternating vanilla mango flavors.

Meanwhile, keep the verrine glasses ready. To assemble the verrines, drop a tbsp of thick custard alternating it with a tbsp of thick mango pulp, till it fills the glass to brim. Allow it to set well and cool further in the refrigerator.


Before serving, I topped each verrine with a cherry and roughly broken oatmeal cookie. Serve cold.

The mangoes I used here were naturally sweet, so they did not require any extra sugar to sweeten them further. The vanilla custard being sweet balances out the sweet tang flavors very well. I always love mangoes in their true form, unless they are really raw and sour. It's like, if you asked me what I would prefer out of the two, Mango ice cream or fresh mangoes with ice cream, I would undoubtedly choose the latter. That's how I am fascinated with these. I rarely make desserts out of mangoes, especially if they are sweet. Even in desserts I love to keep them neat and unadulterated.

The flavors in this dessert were fruity, mellowed and soft. They make a good serving post breakfast too. For a more exotic version, I suggest you use stabilized whipped cream instead of custard. It works out to be really rich. Worth for an occasion. I use custard only for the sole reason that it cuts down on calories from the use of whole whipped cream. Not entirely sure considering the sugar in it, but it does give me a reason to go for a few more servings!


33 comments:

  1. Elegant verrines, looks fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mallika,

    Mango vanilla verrine looks really good. Cute and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dessert looks awesome and damn tempting .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow tempting mango dessert....looks soo yummy. My fav is also Banganapalli :) Drooling over ur pics...Luv the layer in ur glasses :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful dessert,love the layers ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow looks so delish...drooling now MD...yummy creation

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am drooling big time Mallika!! Fantastic dessert and even more fabulous super pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must be a real relish with the yummy mangoes, lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. elles sont magnifiques ces verrines et doivent être absolument délicieuses
    superbe présentation
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mallika,

    Very tempting, inviting and mouth-watering. Must taste it. All the best.

    Appa

    ReplyDelete
  11. thats a easy but elegant dessert. looks very summery and light.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow..looks very tempting and attractive...
    feels like the one in PF chang's dessert menu...
    they need to add this there seriously...:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow MD
    This mango vanilla verrines look very delicious.Very tempting pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!

    I am not a huge fan of mango but this mango dessert looks really tempting! Beautiful Clicks!

    Love the way you have garnished it with a cookie and a cherry :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow.. these are so pretty!! Very tempting, Mallika!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful and delicious one...

    ReplyDelete
  17. really cute presentation.. mangoes are my favorite this dish is fabulous.. yum

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous pics!! Lovely dessert..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks so yummy and tempting..
    Very nice presentation and clicks Mallika.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Would I sound like I am some extinct species if I say I've never heard of this dish? And, by the look of it (which MD never fails to make an impression with)...I am defn. missing a lot!!

    Mallika, I think we sure need to turn in the adoption papers soon. I love mangoes. I love your blog and what you make. Let's fix the missing link :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yeah, why not Pavithra? We guys should meet up some time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome click!!!!! looks superb!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OK, so it looks like I have to make a trip to the other side of town, Whitefield pretty soon! And I know you're sweet enough to make a whole batch of this when I do, right? :) :) Suma, are you listening? Lets visit the Dessert Queen, you and I...we need to do it soon, before she decides to go on a diet too! :P
    Love the colours and the different hues of yellow...I prolly wouldnt eat them if you gave them to me; I'd sit admiring the wonderful colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been looking for mango desserts which don't take away from the awesome taste of mango itself - thanks this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Madhuri, I wouldn't mind u guys coming over. But be prepared to forget ur diet when u r at my place. That won't be an excuse!

    Miri, I would agree with u that I too love desserts that don't take away the taste of mango itself. I'm mad for mangoes!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey MD, I just came here to browse and saw the template change...lovely it looks. Way to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very inviting. First time around here.. Love your place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the pics! they look gorgeous! and so simple too!

    ReplyDelete