Mulberry & Cherry Verrine

, , 25 comments


Most of my desserts are a little low on sweetness. We love it that way, just with hints of sweetness, unless if it were a cake or mousse with no frosting. This is probably the reason why I love bittersweet dark chocolates with over 60-70% cocoa over the most loved milk chocolates. But my sensibilities do warn me that people in general adore high sugar levels in most sweetmeats, which I agree would be great considering it is actually how a dessert is meant to be. I try being considerate and adjust an extra helping of sugar if I have guests around, but I guess sometimes, that too runs on a lower range! Health is just a smaller part of the concern, while the primary reason is our palatable tastes.

I promised. I would be back with another dessert from Mulberries. Well, that was long ago ;) With many parts of the world celebrating the coveted spring and with summer fruits, berries and stone fruits showing major prominence on most blog spaces, I thought I shouldn't keep myself a step behind. So I had the perfect reason to bring out my mulberry compotes and pair them with fresh cherries and yogurt to layer my verrines.

A verrine is a well known French dessert which is made by layering ingredients in a small glass, generally in verrine glasses. It can be either sweet or savory. This one with Mulberries and Cherries is a healthy classic verrine with health from fruit compotes and goodness from yogurt. The yogurt impart a tangy twist. This verrine is mild on sweetness and goes great as a breakfast dessert.


Mulberry & Cherry Verrine

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup mulberry compote
1/2 cup cherries, chopped
1 cup hung yogurt
2 tbsp sugar

DIRECTIONS

Beat the thick hung yogurt with sugar. I used sugar free here. Layer the verrine glasses with mulberry compote. The compote I made had vanilla in it. You can add vanilla to the yogurt too. Top with some yogurt and freshly pitted chopped cherries. Top another layer with mulberry compote, some yogurt and freshly pitted chopped cherries.

Chill and serve for best flavors. Garnish with a few fresh cherries and mulberries before serving.


I love the entire process of creating and layering the verrines. Those verrine glasses are my all time favorites from the rack and I take immense care of them. I haven't done a neat job here to create the aesthetic look, but I loved those purple hues we get as we dig into our glasses. The thick yogurt and fruit alternating in it made it more a breakfast dessert, with a well balanced sweetness and tart.

To make a more exotic fruity dessert, substitute with cream cheese or sour cream. The varied mingled flavors that you can create with each verrine will surely leave you with a treat.

25 comments:

  1. Dear MD,
    Mulberry-Cherry Verrine looks very very colorful,delicious and yummy.It sure is a very healthy breakfast.We too prefer very less sweet in our desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appearance looks great & gorgeous. Thanks. Appa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple to put together and looks so exotic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this tye of dessert. I dint know they are called verrine but often make them with seasonal fruits and hung curds. the mulberries have added a bright hue to the glass. very tempting and soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful verrine with layers, pics are so lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mallika, hope u are feeling better now. I never knew these are called verrine. Beautiful clicks and so easy to assemble for such an exotic name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your verrine looks very attractive.
    I'm also hosting a event this month, looking forward to your yummy recipes.
    Your verrine will also suit the event, i'll be more than happy to have this for the event.
    Check out the event details here:
    http://tasteofpearlcity.blogspot.com/2010/07/iftar-moments-hijri-1431-event.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mallika,

    Gorgeous verrines, i bet they will be good for hot summer days. I love cheery anything with them great for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This does look like a very nice light summery dessert. And the prettiness is such a big bonus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow colorful verrine....luv the layer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow....drooling here MD ....wonderful click

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous verrine, looks very awesome and pretty..

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOw...luks fantastic,too gud picture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely and light dessert Mallika... You bet our sweets are loaded with sugar. These low sugar ones leave u feeling good, without giving your tongue a sugar bath:-))

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG that is really making me drool.. the pictures are simply classic.. wonderful shots. 2nd and 3rd anr picture perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, verrines are so beautiful and this one is of the highest caliber! phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow looks so inviting and yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  18. These verrines look very good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful dessert! can only imagine how delicious it must taste!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love those layers! Beautiful photography, and an awesome dish!

    ReplyDelete
  21. so tempting..looks so delicious..lovely click..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delicious and what a beautiful images! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks guys for all those warm comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey, this looks yummy sissy :) Paddy

    ReplyDelete