Orange Buttercream Cake for my Valentine

, , 19 comments


I am totally pepped up with this thought of celebrating a day symbolizing love with your Valentine. Isn’t that so cute? Unfortunately, it falls on a Tuesday this year, that means we’ll be at work and the day will be spent like any other week day. Shades of red have always been my favorite color, so there is no reason why I shouldn’t be soaked in colors of Valentine. And be it a festival or an occasion, you know I just need an excuse to make a dessert!

Initial thoughts of making chocolate cake for my Valentine took a backseat when I saw the bright oranges brought in from the Sunday shopping peeping out from shopping bag. They screamed to be used, probably not for the cake, but to be eaten fresh. As I packed a few off to be refrigerated for later use, the whipped cream on the refrigerator counter sat gleaming at me. Fresh cream cake wasn’t on my mind honestly. Experiments with fresh cream haven't had many success with me, so I didn't dare to this time. Buttercream was a safer route. After a real long time (I can say almost close to a year and half), I got eggs for the fat-less sponge base. Can’t get a better cake than a cake with Orange buttercream icing, yeah? Absolutely!


Oranges are in season. Seeing them flood the market in shades of bright yellow orange hues makes me go crazy for them. I cannot simply resist oranges, so reminiscent of a fruit which we often depend on to quench our thirst, especially during train and bus journeys. I completely adore fresh fruits, but wonder why I’ve rarely played around with them in my dessert. We relish fruits on a daily basis with stocks of banana, watermelon and muskmelon being quite a regular at home. Guess while I’m chopping fruits for a dessert a lot of it goes directly to my mouth rather than the dessert itself!

I have been toying around this idea of using oranges again to make a Gateaux since my previous bake with Baked Orange Cheesecake. Oh yeah, people loved it! It was hit at home. I’ve discovered a new found love in the zesty refreshing flavors of orange, prior to which the peels were meant to be discarded. I love that citrus zester and have been using more often since. I went on a serious hunting spree for that one tool! Totally worth the effort!

Keeping in mind the Valentine day, I baked this Orange Fresh Cream Gateaux over the weekend. This did not come as a surprise to my hubby as he very well knew that a cake was on the way for him. The eggs fluffed well to make the fatless sponge base devoid of any fat using the recipe inspired by Tarla Dalal. Drizzled juice directly from fresh oranges on to the cake. Now how good is that for you? A quick round of whip given to the cream and a good amount of orange rind and juice went into it, speckled bright and yellow. Spread the stuff and assembled it in less than an hour. It was a breeze.


Orange Buttercream Cake

INGREDIENTS

Fatless Sponge:

2 large sized eggs
50 gms (2 oz.) plain flour (maida)
50 to 80 gms fine tea sugar or powdered sugar

Buttercream Icing:

200 gm. softened butter
2 tbsp. powdered sugar
1 tsp. orange rind
A few slices of orange segments
2-3 tbsp. orange juice (for moistening the cake and icing)


DIRECTIONS

Sieve the flour. Grease and dust a baking tin. Beat the eggs and sugar very well until thick and double in quantity. Fold in the sieved flour carefully and mix gently with a metal spoon. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin. Bake in a hot oven at 200 degree C (400 degree F) for 15 minutes. The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch. Take out from the oven and leave to cool for a minute. Loosen the sides with a knife, invert the tin over a rack and tap sharply to remove. Cool the cake.


Slice the cake to two. Moist them well with fresh/canned orange juice. I used fresh juice here. Whip the butter and sugar to soft peaks. Add in fresh/canned orange juice along with fresh orange zest and whip further till stiff peaks form. Slather a dollop of cream and spread well on the center. Scatter a few orange segments and top it with the second slice. Slather and coat the cake with the remaining cream and top with candied zest and orange segments and chill for at least 3-4 hours. Serve.


I am not a huge fan of buttercream cakes, simply because they leave that buttery creaminess on the roof of mouth. Saying that this cake was not only loved by my Valentine, but also my mom and sis with whom it was shared. The cake got over even before I could carry it over for the 14th Feb! The orange rind is refreshing and makes the cake totally sinful. I was not totally satisfied the way I frosted this cake. I should have chopped off the cake hood flat before frosting. I could definitely have done a much better job. Frosting a cake is a real test of patience. You need to treat that cake like your baby, gentle and with care.

Are you geared up to celebrate this Valentine day with your special one? Do you plan to create a special dessert for your Valentine this year? What's your flavor? Would you go for Vanilla or Chocolate or is that a fruity one like mine? Share your thoughts with me.

19 comments:

  1. that looks perfect for the occassion...wish you both a great time together...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oranges are just my thing, I eat an abnormal number of them during the season! I haven't yet tried making buttercream, whipped cream has spoilt me! The cake looks light and inviting with the zested orange..

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks absolutely stunning! i love the idea of having orange in cake! what a great way to celebrate valentines day :) Even my post abt valentines day has oranges in it :)) (same pinch)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow the the cake looks gr8 and i love ur blog for the wonderful eggless recipes posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very delicious looking cake...Recently I also gave a try for butter cream icing..nice clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love everything which has orange and yours is just fabulous. Awesome click too,me craving for a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome dessert, loved it. I would need no reason to have it. Great shots

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome dessert,can't take my off those clicks..yum

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks delicious :) i love the clicks.. !! very romantic recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful cake..love the brightness in colour and taste the citrus brings to the cake..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I havent tried my hands at frosting...this cake tempts me so much. Looks stunning and tempting

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks gorgeous, I love oranges too, will try it one of these days. Hope you had a great Valentines day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect treat to celebrate....looks awesome....

    ReplyDelete
  14. superb presentation...
    picturebite.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! What a lovely space! First time here...love all your clicks. They are awesome :)

    Thanks for dropping by. Unfortunately your comment got deleted by mistake (stupid touch fones!) but appreciate the kind words. Happy Blogging!


    Chef Al dente On going event: Gimme GREEN!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where are you put up in Bangalore is my first question. I'd like to definitely talk to you gal, after seeing all these lovely bakes and esp. the frosting; I'm too bad at it. :)
    Yours look great, absolutely spectacular. I loved that butter-cream frosting, though I also avoid because of the same reason as you quoted and then getting whipping/heavy cream in Bangalore is out of question.
    Do drop me a mail at anjalishukla19feb@gmail.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a wonderful cake!! I love orange cakes and made something very similar recently, but that was a bundt and a cream cheese glaze. This looks gorgeous, would love to try this next time. Thanks for visiting my page :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Orange Buttercream! I'm salivating right now. This recipe reminds me of a cake my mother made once that was moistened with orange juice. She only made it once, but I've never forgotten the moment of tasting it.

    ReplyDelete