Classic Oatmeal Cookies

, , 40 comments


The weather God has been playing good and we have been receiving decent occasional showers of rain in the evenings. I feel much better being rescued from the scorch of heat. The summers were bad, not as bad as other parts of the country though. But it still came with potful of troubles with continued power cuts at peak hours of the day, sufficient to give a baker her nightmares!

It can't get more irritating when I have my goodies baking half way through in the oven and then the unexpected power cuts that can go on for atleast a couple of hours leave me feeling miserable and I end up with flat cakes or cookies that have to be used as alternatives or end up in thrash! I am hoping it gets better with more rains, though at the moment it's not any good.

All I want to do right now is to dive down cozily into an armchair, with a thought that I am totally carefree and have nothing much to do. Would probably just want to grab a novel, a cup of tea in one hand, cookies to sink my teeth into, melodies of the past being played on radio in the background, cool breeze kissing my cheeks, the murmurs of rain adding a zing of music to my ears... I am feeling exactly this way at the moment. Does this sound a perfect way to lazy around on your weekend or may be a nice holiday?


With the climate changing to better, the temperatures falling and with a few showers, it feels nice to see the dry, sun burnt grounds converting to patchy greens and hopefully lesser power cuts too! And with the cool breeze kissing my cheeks, it reminds me that it's time I convert my home to a baker's bliss, the time when vanilla and chocolate-y flavors waft through air and we descend gracefully into it's blissful aromas.

So I headed straight to make these simple delightful cookies for our evenings. I adapted the recipe from here, however made a couple of changes. I kept it neat with no dry fruits or nuts added to the dough. Instead I chose to frost my cookies with chocolate and finely chopped pistachios. My Oatmeal and Raisin Cookies have been appreciated in the past. These are classic American cookies and the best bet for the ones like me who dislike oats in their true nature. Recipe is quite simple and follows a standard procedure of dry into wet ingredients format.


Classic Oatmeal Cookies

INGREDIENTS

1 cup plain flour
1 1/4 cups oatmeal
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 tbsp flax seed powder
2 tbsp water
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
A pinch of salt

Decorate:

1/2 cup melted dark chocolate
Slivered pistachios

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 375° F. Mix 1/2 tbsp flax seed powder into 2 tbsp water and keep in the fridge for a few hours. You will notice that the flax seed water will turn to a slimy mixture exactly like that of an egg. I have produced the best results from this mixture.

In a mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, vanilla and butter until well blended. Add the oatmeal, flax meal water and stir well.

In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Gradually add to the oatmeal mixture, stirring well. Scoop the dough by tablespoonfuls, spacing each about an inch apart, onto the baking tray. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.

For the frosting, melt the chocolate over double boiler or in a microwave. Dip one half of the cookie into the melted chocolate. Drain excess chocolate using the edge of a spatula. Dip into a finely chopped pistachios and allow it to cool over a plate.


These are good as is without any frostings. Frosting them is purely optional. I am not good at frosting, or must I admit that I have the least patience to decorate. However, this time I thought I must leave my laziness aside and try some hand at frosting. I opted to coat them partially with molten dark chocolate and pistachios.

I have been experimenting a lot with flax seeds and honestly, off late, I have begun to dislike even the faintest taste from flax seeds. Though the smell is not so pronounced in this recipe, my taste buds seem to identify it easily, which I don't like. So the frosting made it good for me. However, do not resist to try this. If I don't like it, it doesn't mean it's gross. You may love it. My family did. In fact, they merrily enjoyed it. You may use 1 egg instead of flaxseed.

40 comments:

  1. Lovely cookies....looks perfect, the frosting has also come out neat. Same here last week when I used flax seeds powder for the 1st time for a cake I cud easily identify the smell of it....but others enjoyed it.As u say have to add some strong flavour to avoid the flax taste peeping in.Last click is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!!
    Cookies looks gr8 dear...
    Lovely clicks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pics..looks too gud....yummy cookies

    ReplyDelete
  4. very very beautiful cookies,and such a wonderful click too...very nice one mallika..

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely n yummy cookies..my kid will sure lov this..as usual awesome click!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wooooowwwwwww.....What a wonderful recipe and pics!!!!So good.....You know what, i thought of dipping those cardamom cookies too with chocolate and doing exactly the same way....It would taste just toooo good.....but again got lazy and teh cookies are all over:)....I then though i will mention in the post and then forgot about that too!!..BTW, iam using Sony DSLR alpha 200. I think ur pics are really good too, which one do u use?

    ReplyDelete
  7. aah that looks like a treat .. awesome

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh babe I'm so sorry you are having issues with the weather! Sounds like a bummer.

    These cookies sound like the perfect way to get cheered up! I love that they are dipped in chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about the weather! But these are delectable and scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have seen similar cookies in my baking cookbook, but never dared baking them..looks wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome click..looks fabulous and yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GORGEOUS!! I would dump lot of raisins in there, I love these cookies! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow so yuumy cookies..Nice clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!!!!!!!!!Not only you put efforts in making those lovely cookies..also the way you present it..its simply heavenly....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can I use Quick Cooking oats???

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooooooh! Very good click, it looks better than proffesional, cookies look simply great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely crunchy cookies one of my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how I also love baking and the smells of vanilla and chocolate wafting around. Cookies in my hand a novel in the other and in an arm chair sounds like bliss:-))

    Lovely cookies Mallika!!! Am sure they tasted just as great!! psst.. can u shift somewhere close by and be my neighbor?? :-))

    ReplyDelete
  19. hmm..heard monsoon has arrived...really love monsoon season...that oatmeal cookies looks divine...love the pics too...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear MD oatmeal cookies with chocolate look very delicious.bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mallika,

    oatmeal cookies with chocolate looks really yummy. Appa told me that monsoon has started

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was surprised to see that these cookies were eggless and the flax seed powder subbed for the lack of eggs. I understand how working with flax seed too much can make you sort of not like flax seed anymore..but my god, I need to try these with the flax! They look amazing, and hey, anything dipped in chocolate is up my alley :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well well well... what can I say!!?? Deeeeeeeelish looking beauties you have out here. Pass me some..puuhhhleeeez!

    Also, drop by SSTT when you get a chance... I've a lil something for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Omg, wat a cute and elegant cookies, u have made them so beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cookies look so pretty and delicious.Perfect with acup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful and perfect cookies without egg.. wonderful picture as always mallika... fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  27. beautiful click and we loved the last one.. cookies looks perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those are such gorgeous cookies! Loved the clicks too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such cute li'l babies! I love that you half-dunked them in chocolate...scrumm-yummmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oatmeal cookies look perfect and yummy!! Lovely clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Here we find some flax seeds powder quiet odorless. When I bought first time, it was hard for me to mix in my oatmeal, but the odorless pass very well my palate.
    The last cookie click is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  32. looks really classic. lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  33. These cookies and the photos are beautiful! I hope I can make them myself soon! I love the glaze with the chopped pistachios on top!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Rain must sure be a great relief,love the chocolate and nut coated cookies,yum :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. Loved the way these cookies have been presented. I am sure they were great evening treats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful crystal clear pictures and a lovely recipe thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hey A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine, you can use quick cooking oats. They work equally good.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Gosh, I can see myself baking this! Very pretty clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yeah Kripa, it does work equally well with just white sugar. Brown sugar gives a little fudgy texture, however using white sugar shouldn't make much of a difference. Do try and let me know.

    ReplyDelete